Search the forum,

Discuss Bleeding a system with an automatic valve (but gurgling pipes) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My central hot water heating system has developed a very loud gurgle every time the heat comes on, so clearly has quite a bit of air in the system. It has a Taco Hy-vent automatic valve above the tank in the utility room and no bleeder valves elsewhere in the system. Should I just replace the automatic valve, assuming it has failed?

(The small vent cap on top is not screwed down tightly, so air should be able to be released if it is working properly.)

Today I tried tapping the side of the valve with a hammer in case the workings were stuck inside...unless that helps, I have no clue what to do.

Reply to Bleeding a system with an automatic valve (but gurgling pipes) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Boiler is making a gurgling sound and keeps short cycling. I believe there is air in the the system and I've already bled all the radiators. This is the pipe leading into the water cylinder, is it where I should be bleeding the air from?
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock