Search the forum,

Discuss Black slime in cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My neighbour has a Siamp built in toilet cistern. He has a problem in that in the winter months he gets black slime building up in the cistern and coating the flush and inlet valves. He only has one toilet so no others to compare it with. Myself and his other neighbours with normal exposed cisterns never have this problem. Somebody told him it was ferrous compounds in the water but this doesn’t sound likely and even if it was surely we all would suffer the same problem.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing his problem and why only in the winter months?

In the zone where splashing occurs warmth encourages aspergillus mould to grow. Some cistern more susceptible than others probably for environmental reasons. Not dangerous imo but don't eat it or snort it.

Attachments

• 20210624_170023.jpg
    20210624_170023.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm going to guess that there is a difference between the surface temperatures in concealed and exposed cisterns (also ceramic vs plastic) and, in this context, that means his cistern experiences more condensation and hence better living conditions for slimy things.

Since he won't be drinking his toilet water and generally will not see the insides of the cistern, I would not personally classify this as a problem.

Reply to Black slime in cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock