Search the forum,

Discuss bit cold at this time of year in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maddfridge

Hi all

how many of you plumbers out there think of air conditioning for keeping cool ???

many offices and shops have heat pumps this is beginning to impact on gas boilers for heating new market for you plumbers ??

cheers

hi Maddfridge
I think these air source heat pumps are the way to go for heating and hot water since september 08 I have now intalled 3 air source unvented hot water cylinders and 2 air source heat pumps. I hope to install more.
As Gas boilers are getting more and more complicated to install and service, I welcome the chance to install somthing this easy.
I've never installed air conditioning mainly because my contracts have always been about heating. are you now installing heat pumps as well as air conditioning if so what make of units are you installing
Regards
Mike

Last edited:
Cheaper air source heat pumps are not great when the outside air temp is minus 10 as it was last month, Ground source on a new build is better but obviously means a fair bit of digging. Air source work better with hot water pre heating and under fllor heating where the flow temps are lower than radiators. Good heat pumps can use a 1kw of energy to make 4kw of heat

I agree fatoftheland
Its a case of before you buy look into it thoroughly. I have been fortunate so far in the fact that the customers I have installed for have done their homework, and I have installed to thier specifiations.
I havent installed any ground source yet mainly I think due to price

Hi fatoftheland
what make of GSHP/ASHP are you installing and how are you finding this sort of work?
Regards
mike

Worcester Ground Source are good, I get my work doing small commercial installations on new builds (which are drying up) I haven't installed Water source yet but I would like to.

what type of heating with the ground source underfloor or radiators ? also what do you do about hot water, Have you tried these unvented air source hot water cylinders yet?

Hi fatoftheland
your absolutly right about the high temperatures needed for heating radiators.
The system I installed, the customer went for smiths ecovectors. I thought they were something new when I first saw them, but when I looked inside, I realised the technology had been around for years.
They actually work really well with the ASHP and when the temperature droped to
-12 around here a couple of weeks ago, I checked with the customer expecting to find him freezing cold and demanding I install gas boiler, he told me he was fine.
I'm afraid I have little experiance of Solar, I installed a Ferolli aquasol set up last year and I have to confess I wasnt impressed with it. I also have not had any feedback from the customer either.
The Air source Hot water cylinders I have installed work fine (3 to date) the customers are happy with the temperature of the water and are surprised at how quiet they are considering the the pump is attached to the cylinder and fitted inside an airing cupboard. still amazes me how they work.
Regards
Mike

I dont suppose you monitor the temperatures that you get from the panels. like I say I have very little experiance of solar and I'm considering going on a course, as I seem to be getting more work for renewable energy.
regards
Mike

cant you install a thermal store and then pump it to your hot water cylinder or heating, orhave you already done this.
Regards
Mike

No answer to that then.
can you still use the pool in winter, or is it just for summer use
Regards
Mike

hi Maddfridge
I think these air source heat pumps are the way to go for heating and hot water since september 08 I have now intalled 3 air source unvented hot water cylinders and 2 air source heat pumps. I hope to install more.
As Gas boilers are getting more and more complicated to install and service, I welcome the chance to install somthing this easy.
I've never installed air conditioning mainly because my contracts have always been about heating. are you now installing heat pumps as well as air conditioning if so what make of units are you installing
Regards
Mike

hi there

i dont install i have just seen a few heat pumps and reverse cycle air condioning units such as trane, daiken etc but these are usual comms rooms ertc tem critical

cheers

Hi maddfridge
Hi have to confess I really still dont know much about ASHPs, but I am finding that installing them is easy. The only difference between the air source unvented hot water cylinders I have been installing and a normal unvented cylinder is the ASHP ones have a condense drain on the side.
This morning I,m ripping out an oil boiler from a swimming pool and installing another ASHP with a thermal store, the reason for the thermal store is the low volume of water going through the pools heat exchanger, to stop the ASHP cyling to much.
regards
Mike

I dont suppose you monitor the temperatures that you get from the panels. like I say I have very little experiance of solar and I'm considering going on a course, as I seem to be getting more work for renewable energy.
regards
Mike

I read a little bit about the heat pumps that use the solar panels and they seem like a very good option especially for those people who want to save a bit on their utility expenses. I would only be cautious to the risk of weathering though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bit cold at this time of year in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock