Search the forum,

Discuss Bidding for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I just wondered how other people have found sites like 'Rated People'. I recently signed up to try and generate some more business but I'm very sceptical. I've paid for three jobs - when I rang the first customer (immediately) he had already got someone.The second customer said he'd ring back but didn't and the third was unobtainable. I've spent aboout £40 and got nothing to show for it. Has anyone found these sites a reliable source of work?

sorted it then?/??//????

no your being ripped of, you cant buy jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found them useless, the only decent one is Touch Local Local business directory, where you get a rating from a customer.

The best way we have advertised that has produced the most work is local parish/council newsletters/magazines. Using local services (like, buying local food providers etc), is very trendy at the moment, so have found it very productive.

I've found my local parish mag pays its way. For £25 a year I get half a dozen jobs - much better than 'Rated People'. With them you pay for each job you bid on and a quarterly fee. I agree - I am being ripped off.

Cancelled my membership with Rated People about 2 years ago but they kept taking the membership fees from my bank.
Only got a refund when threatened them with small claims court !

I would not recommend them at all.

If Rated People have done 100,000 jobs (as they claim) at £12 a job (their lowest fee) for three tradesmen £36 total that's £3.6 million since inception by my reckoning. Let's say they have 10,000 mugs like me paying them £40 a quarter too that's another £1.6 million a year. I'm in the wrong business!

Found them useless, the only decent one is Touch Local Local business directory, where you get a rating from a customer.

The best way we have advertised that has produced the most work is local parish/council newsletters/magazines. Using local services (like, buying local food providers etc), is very trendy at the moment, so have found it very productive.

Really , I was thinking of this too how much work do you get from it?

this dont sound good ive just signed up with rated people which i was sceptical about anyway but were a new business so thought it might help not getting much from iti must admit im not rally a big fan of advertising anyway but how do you get a business running without it. i think were just gonna have to ride the storm.

this dont sound good ive just signed up with rated people which i was sceptical about anyway but were a new business so thought it might help not getting much from iti must admit im not rally a big fan of advertising anyway but how do you get a business running without it. i think were just gonna have to ride the storm.

I was with rated people for around a year, It is frustrating spending all the money and then say a tenner to get a customers phone number and then they say " oh its ok now, my uncles cousin is going to do it" . Try to keep it only for small jobs tap swaps and washer changes and keep your prices low Problem is all the customers are led to believe that they can get quotes over the phone before we have seen the job , and as most plumbers don't do this I would recommend it even if you don't stick to it. Otherwise you will lose the job every time. It really is a matter of getting your foot in the door as most people who use these sites are very consious of being ripped off , so when they see you are a nice guy , all is usually well.

ah right cheers for the advice only replied to 3 or 4 but they all been a waste of time.

Really , I was thinking of this too how much work do you get from it?

In our area the magazines are delivered 3 times a year to 12,000 homes, so I would certainly check out how many homes they go to in your area.

We advertise whole page (our accountant said any smaller is a waste of time), costing around £180 for the 3 issues, mainly advertising boiler servicing, we do quote a price at quite a cheap rate for a boiler service, as I do think that encourages people to book, but once you get that, you get all the other work from them.

Hope that helps,
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bidding for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock