Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to secure shower tray in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Replacing a Atlas shower tray that was mounted on breeze blocks, what is the best way to secure the new shower tray to the breeze blocks as previously it looks like a sealant was used,

do I use cement or grippit / no nails onto the block then place the tray onto it ?

any advice would be most helpful

Attachments

• BD60B2A7-D79D-4F62-A87C-3D6632F61808.jpeg
    BD60B2A7-D79D-4F62-A87C-3D6632F61808.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 46
Obviously check new tray manufacturer instructions for to satisfy warranty, but I think you will find the new tray will require a fully solid supported base and bedded in 5-1 sand and cement mix.
What reason was the old tray removed? Did it crack or flex silicones resting on those blocks?

Hi, the base cracked so had to remove it,the replacement has a base kit that appears to be a stand so I’m assuming it doesnt need to be fully supported perhaps ?, i believe the base was over 10 years old, just bought the house and then realised that it had cracked.

Hmmmm what are you replacing it with ? And why as above if it's a solid slab type tray it needs supporting I would clean all the silicone off the blocks and prime with sbr before fitting hardibacker on top of the blocks using a quality flexible tile adhesive and screwing it down obviously the waste will need prepping, the other option is remove it all and replace with a riser tray with adjustable support legs Merlyn trays would be a good choice As they are light weight easier to handle but still very strong . Kop

Attachments

• 20180928_131558.jpg
    20180928_131558.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180928_145859.jpg
    20180928_145859.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20190307-204544_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190307-204544_Photos.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 30
Hmmmm what are you replacing it with ? And why as above if it's a solid slab type tray it needs supporting I would clean all the silicone off the blocks and prime with sbr before fitting hardibacker on top of the blocks using a quality flexible tile adhesive and screwing it down obviously the waste will need prepping, the other option is remove it all and replace with a riser tray with adjustable support legs Merlyn trays would be a good choice As they are light weight easier to handle but still very strong . Kop
That is very good .

I’m replacing it with an Atlas shower base just a newer version of the one I’ve taken out, if I remove the silicone from the blocks could I simply use an adhesive on the blocks and lay the new base directly back in it ?..

Reply to Best way to secure shower tray in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Sometime ago I removed our old 1200x800 shower tray and replaced with a Stone resin one. The stone resin tray was much, much heavier than the old one. At the time I didn't give much thought to it, but now I'm wondering which type of tray it would have been. Other than it weighed no more...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have two hairline cracks around shower tray plug waste hole. Is this a concern ? I.e let water in etc through crack ? And any fixes or do I need a new tray? I also have suspicions that the tray was fitted without a cement or mortar bed underneath to support the tray and this is...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just looking for some advice as seen a few different things online. I'm installing a shower tray in our bathroom but this one has a square inlay to it first. Is this just a standard wet room square plate and then a normal shower trap underneath? I have seen some mcalpine ones but they are...
Replies
Views
I am currently doing a new build requiring 2 shower trays to use as walk in showers. The tray I currently have does not appear to have angled rims around the edges so water constantly pools at the sealant and doesn't run into the tray and drain. Can anyone recommend d a tray that does have...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock