Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to secure shower tray in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Replacing a Atlas shower tray that was mounted on breeze blocks, what is the best way to secure the new shower tray to the breeze blocks as previously it looks like a sealant was used,

do I use cement or grippit / no nails onto the block then place the tray onto it ?

any advice would be most helpful

Attachments

• BD60B2A7-D79D-4F62-A87C-3D6632F61808.jpeg
    BD60B2A7-D79D-4F62-A87C-3D6632F61808.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 50
Obviously check new tray manufacturer instructions for to satisfy warranty, but I think you will find the new tray will require a fully solid supported base and bedded in 5-1 sand and cement mix.
What reason was the old tray removed? Did it crack or flex silicones resting on those blocks?

Hi, the base cracked so had to remove it,the replacement has a base kit that appears to be a stand so I’m assuming it doesnt need to be fully supported perhaps ?, i believe the base was over 10 years old, just bought the house and then realised that it had cracked.

Hmmmm what are you replacing it with ? And why as above if it's a solid slab type tray it needs supporting I would clean all the silicone off the blocks and prime with sbr before fitting hardibacker on top of the blocks using a quality flexible tile adhesive and screwing it down obviously the waste will need prepping, the other option is remove it all and replace with a riser tray with adjustable support legs Merlyn trays would be a good choice As they are light weight easier to handle but still very strong . Kop

Attachments

• 20180928_131558.jpg
    20180928_131558.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180928_145859.jpg
    20180928_145859.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20190307-204544_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190307-204544_Photos.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 31
Hmmmm what are you replacing it with ? And why as above if it's a solid slab type tray it needs supporting I would clean all the silicone off the blocks and prime with sbr before fitting hardibacker on top of the blocks using a quality flexible tile adhesive and screwing it down obviously the waste will need prepping, the other option is remove it all and replace with a riser tray with adjustable support legs Merlyn trays would be a good choice As they are light weight easier to handle but still very strong . Kop
That is very good .

I’m replacing it with an Atlas shower base just a newer version of the one I’ve taken out, if I remove the silicone from the blocks could I simply use an adhesive on the blocks and lay the new base directly back in it ?..

Reply to Best way to secure shower tray in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The front right corner shim is 5/8", the left front corner is 3/8" shimmed, with shorter shims under left middle and right rear corner. The pan perimeters...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock