Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to secure a tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Burger

As per the title, I've only ever used what is supplied to me - top hat washers. The thing is just been called back to one where the top hat is broken, am I better with a split kick washer or anything else better?

With a problematic or inaccessible tap I’m inclined to use brass back nuts as these can be done up with gay abandon in the knowledge the nut won’t split or start jumping threads like the plastic ones can do. Obviously have to still be careful not to damage ceramic, but this is surprisingly hard to do.

With a problematic or inaccessible tap I’m inclined to use brass back nuts as these can be done up with gay abandon in the knowledge the nut won’t split or start jumping threads like the plastic ones can do. Obviously have to still be careful not to damage ceramic, but this is surprisingly hard to do.
Thanks Ben-gee, but I've used brass back nuts it's the top hat washer that has broken :(

I've only ever used top hats I think I've had 1 or 2 break in the past but 99.9% have been fine. I just thought it was me being heavy handed.

I never use the top hats partly because they are weak and I see some the others installed cracked.
Basins with 2 taps I use Essex Fix a Taps and pipe in all copper.
I don’t like them for baths.
On kitchen and bath twin taps I use lead washers and silicone and brass back nuts. Old fashioned, but the brass nuts lock up well.
Also again all copper to the taps, with no push fit connections (which would allow rotation)

I never use the top hats partly because they are weak and I see some the others installed cracked.
Basins with 2 taps I use Essex Fix a Taps and pipe in all copper.
I don’t like them for baths.
On kitchen and bath twin taps I use lead washers and silicone and brass back nuts. Old fashioned, but the brass nuts lock up well.
Also again all copper to the taps, with no push fit connections (which would allow rotation)

Might be because flexi's were used, just got some split kick washers see how they pan out.

Cheers for replies everyone

Might be because flexi's were used, just got some split kick washers see how they pan out.

Cheers for replies everyone

Have you ever came across stainless steel ‘top hats’ ?
I liked them and they were unbreakable.
Not really designed like plastic type.
The metal type are just a thin ‘cup’ shape, but grip into the base of bath or sink.
The plastic are designed to flex and grip, but I aways thought of them as too weak

Have you ever came across stainless steel ‘top hats’ ?
I liked them and they were unbreakable.
Not really designed like plastic type.
The metal type are just a thin ‘cup’ shape, but grip into the base of bath or sink.
The plastic are designed to flex and grip, but I aways thought of them as too weak

Can't say I have, but like I said I'm used to using what's provided by company, which is plastic top hats. I've seen the old lead washers on removing taps but wasn't sure if available?

All we use is wide flanged brass back nuts with a washer under to releave the point pressure on uneven pottery which is a source of cracking. We always do up with a deep socket.
I also love tap fix kits. Very simple & very effective as both a seal and keeping good & tight long term. Never ever had to go back to one.

Can't say I have, but like I said I'm used to using what's provided by company, which is plastic top hats. I've seen the old lead washers on removing taps but wasn't sure if available?

Just make them from a cut off piece of sheet lead.
Used to be the normal method of making washers

I have noticed that some of the plastic top hats are really good with lots of rubbing under for strength and some are utterly useless and just fly to pieces as you graunch them up - that’s why I don’t bother with them any more.

So I fitted the split kick, but hole in stainless steel sink didn’t take the lugs, so just kept tightening until it compressed down, tap doesn’t move now, so here’s hoping.

Reply to Best way to secure a tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock