Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to remove ancient hemp from a thread? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Tried a wire brush but doesn't seem to shift it. Would burning it work?

No, use a wire brush on an angle grinder - drill. If its in your hand, a hacksaw blade run along the threads.

Best way of all is clean the threads out with a BSP die nut (or die head)

By now you probably realise i do a lot of iron pipework!

Last edited:
Buy yourself a 1/2" and 3/4" taper die nut. Invaluable for all sorts, clean off old hemp, repai something thats been cross threaded etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best way to remove ancient hemp from a thread? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can someone tell me the best way of removing a siliconed folding support rail that has been siliconed to a tiled bathroom wall at my mums. I can't get a hacksaw blade in between the wall and the plate and I can't get any thin windscreen cutter wire in as there is no gap. I don't really...
Replies
Views
S
The inside brass threads in my Moen rough in two handle Roman tub valve (Moen | Bathroom & Kitchen Faucets, Shower Heads, Accessories & More - https://www.moen.com/products/M-Pact/M-Pact-Two-Handle-Roman-Tub-Valve-10-Center-1-2-CC-Connection/4796) were cross threaded with the nylon cartridge...
Replies
Views
This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure. I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip coming from the black nylon plastic drain plug at the back of the boiler which is accessible from the underneath. It does not appear to be from the thread...
Replies
Views
My shower temperature control knob isn't working anymore - only produces hot water. I tried replacing the cartridge but I can't seem to remove the existing one. What's the best way to remove the cartridge I've attached pictures of? It's very very stiff.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock