Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to learn? Advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there guys here is a quick question to those who have been in the plumbing and gas industry with years of experience.

How did you guys learn your trade and become confident to do it on your own?

I am asking this question because i really do want to become a good plumber and heating engineer. Im only 19 and i have done my theory side in plumbing and gas. Also i worked for last 2 years as a work experience with different plumbers. But all they made me do is shadow them and just pass them tools here and there and not given me a chance to do much work on practical side?

is there any advice you can give me thanks

The only way to learn the practical skills is by actually doing the job there is so much to take in understanding how systems work and repairing them takes years , its not all about plumbing and heating skills either you will need to have carpentry, building , tiling , and basic electrical skills to , i think another important thing is communication be friendly treat your customers with respect and work cleanly invest in dust sheets , a quality Hoover and always clean up after yourself don't be afraid to ask you will make mistakes and have the odd mishap but that is how you learn and become a better tradesman. Best of luck Kop

Hi there guys here is a quick question to those who have been in the plumbing and gas industry with years of experience.

How did you guys learn your trade and become confident to do it on your own?

I am asking this question because i really do want to become a good plumber and heating engineer. Im only 19 and i have done my theory side in plumbing and gas. Also i worked for last 2 years as a work experience with different plumbers. But all they made me do is shadow them and just pass them tools here and there and not given me a chance to do much work on practical side?

is there any advice you can give me thanks
Get yourself a driving licence, get yourself a van, start doing small jobs, get things right make mistakes AND learn.
You could even do,two jobs I did, shift work and worked for myself as well . Rob Foster aka centralheatking

All of the above. I did small jobs for friends and family for free, a good way to see different systems and see how things work. (obviously without breaking any rules (Gas Regs, G3 etc).

Reply to Best way to learn? Advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock