Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to go about changing shower pump in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Illuminate

illuminate
This grundfos (ssr220)
20210507_094230.jpg
shower pump is making a odd sound when in operation and is intermittent as though it is struggling. Is this a fault with the filters getting blocked up?
Also the 22mm ball valves are not shutting off the water and so I will have ro drain but what is the best way to do this.

Is the pump attached to the copper pipe work by push fit, what is the best way to release this?

1. Could be the filters, but to inspect / clean them you will have to remove the inlet hose and possibly the outlet hose. To remove the hoses, obviously you have to turn the water off as well as the pump.
2. I'm surprised the isolation valves aren't working. Are you sure you have the screwdriver slots accurately lined up at 90 degrees to the pipework. Even a little bit off right angles will enable them to pass water.
3. Assuming it is the hot which is pumped then to turn the water off:
3a. Turn off the cold supply from the loft cistern to the base of the hot water cylinder. Usually a gate valve with a red circular handle. Usually stiff to turn. If necessary take off the handle and turn the spindle with a spanner. Start turning a little bit closed, then open, then closed until it frees up. Don't force it, they are notorious for snapping internally, leaving them fully open or fully closed.
3b. Drain any residual water from the hot side by opening the lowest level hot tap you have.
3c. There will still be residual water in the pipework, including the output side which may have quite a lot (to the shower head), so plenty of old towels.

I have finally got round to changing the shower pump but it has the same issue. Could the existing pump of been worked on previously and put on the wrong pipes, inlet to outlet. I'm struggling to think why it wouldn't work if it must of worked before at some point. It is hard to see all the installation around the cylinder as concealed etc

I have finally got round to changing the shower pump but it has the same issue. Could the existing pump of been worked on previously and put on the wrong pipes, inlet to outlet. I'm struggling to think why it wouldn't work if it must of worked before at some point. It is hard to see all the installation around the cylinder as concealed etc
Has it ever worked correctly to your knowledge?

Here are more photos?

Attachments

• 20210601_174030.jpg
    20210601_174030.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210601_174018.jpg
    20210601_174018.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210601_174013.jpg
    20210601_174013.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 17
It's installed incorrectly presumably it's boosting the hot supply ?? If so where is the cold supply taken from a cold water storage tank or mains supply ? It's not wise to mix different pressure supplies it can cause issues ? . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210602-054038.png
    Screenshot_20210602-054038.png
    287.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It's installed incorrectly presumably it's boosting the hot supply ?? If so where is the cold supply taken from a cold water storage tank or mains supply ? It's not wise to mix different pressure supplies it can cause issues ? . Kop
I need to properly inspect the installation but I would assume the cold is fed from the tank and yes the hot supply is pumped. I assume it is like the diagram of the attachment you sent. This would therefore be unequal pressure but why is the diagram showing the same installation?

The diagram KOP has posted shows - look at it carefully as it's easy to misinterpret - MAINS PRESSURE cold reaching the shower mixer, with the pump pumping the hot to bring it up to somewhere near mains pressure.

Hope that makes sense.

Reply to Best way to go about changing shower pump in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock