Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to channel pipes into bathroom wall for a shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malcky

Hi folks, would like to know what is the best way you would gouge/channel the wall to put pipes into for a shower mixer unit?

Looking for tools and methods you would do this, Im still at college and not covered this yet in detail but i did ask the tutor and he said would a grinder to slice up the wall at 1 inch spacing and then use hammer & chisel to knock the channel for each pipe.

Is this the way folks on here would use?

Thanks

Well I know that the wall is concrete so SDS would work...unfortunately I dont have an SDS drill at this moment in time so will need alternative methods if possible.

Are you saying that the grinder lines up the wall is correct though?

Well I know that the wall is concrete so SDS would work...unfortunately I dont have an SDS drill at this moment in time so will need alternative methods if possible.

It can be, but it will make A LOT of dust. Like, dust everywhere, you'll send more time cleaning than plumbing. You can get a corded SDS with rotostop for under £100 and tbh, it should be one of your first purchases.

I use a small grinder with a diamond tipped blade. Cut down 2 lines either side of the pipe and then the centre bit practically falls out with a chisel. Lots of dust and cover over any smoke detectors and open a window, but chase is cut in seconds.

The best method is a diamond wall chaser with dust extraction but most of us don't chase often enough to have one. I've got a channel chiselling tool for my SDS.

I have a Draper heavy duty drill that came with some sort of attachment that looks like it is meant for chasing walls, that is what it gets used for and it works brilliantly, it is the right size for 15mm and creates and nice neat groove in solid walls.

I used to use the grinder method, but as mentioned, it creates A LOT of dust!

when you say concrete do you mean a block wall and not actual concrete?

the best method depends on the type of material the wall is, soft block can be chisel'd with a 20mm gouge chisel

3164Jf2D-6L._SL500_.jpg

like this.

harder material i may be better to grind 2 lines first but its very dusty.

Grinder method is neat, but you won't see that for a week after doing it !!!!!!
Couple of points - try not to dig too deep. or you could end up with large holes to be filled - some of the blocks are not solid. Then remember to either use plastic pipes, or wrap the copper tube with tape to protect from the effects of plaster.

Old fashioned metod it is then

124145627233qt6x[1].jpg

or buy / hire a sds for the job

I just stare at the wall really really hard till the chase is done. be carefull though as I nearly took a wall down once

Gotta wallchaser from screwfix for about £100 made by Sparky a few years back,, made an attachment that fit to my Henry & he ho very little dust.....

Think im going to get the Titan SDS: Titan TTB279SDS 5kg SDS+ Drill 240V | NoLinkingToThis as it looks like a beast of a machine that gets good reviews, comes with a 2 year warranty which is good for a £60 machine.....the extra's its coming with is a bargain too. This should cover all the heavy duty stuff I reckon....possibly overkill for chasing the wall as my initial post, but will be used for lots of other stuff in time.....hopefully.

Still need to get a grinder though....anyone use cordless ones or just best getting a corded one?

Tell your tutor to boiler there head and get real. There are a dozen ways to chase a wall depending on how much money you have to spend on tools. No way is right or wrong. They all get the same result with differing degrees of effort, mess or hazard and using a grinder is the messiest and most hazardous to your health.
Best and easiest with least mess is a diamond wall chaser. A grinder with 2 blades and a hoover attachment. A quick clean job. You can buy a cheap one for just over 100 or a good one for 500.
A basic grinder will cut the channels but you will still need to use an sds or a hammer and chisel to remove the section of brick work. Basically you will shut the bathroom door and fire in with the grinder while wearing a dust mask. When you turn around you won't be able to see the bathroom window for dust. This is major messy and very bad for the lungs which you won't realise until you are older. I've done just about every stupid thing there is to do just to make a pound. This is something you will live to regret, believe me.
An sds drill with rotor stop will chisel it out pretty quick with not a lot of effort if you have the right chisel in it but you have more to fill in after which isn't a big deal.
As above a hammer and chisel will do the same job as will a scutch hammer.
There are more ways to skin a rabbit than pull its jacket over its head.

Personally i use an apprentice :smile:

Btw that drill is too heavy for everyday use and is not very good. Think about something better if you can afford it but if not that one will do a turn.
Also, cordless grinders are too expensive for what you may use it for and lack power for this type of thing. You can buy a cheap grinder for a tenner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a cordless grinder and it's great for cutting tiles on a roof when doing a roof flue but not a lot else.

Think im going to get the Titan SDS: Titan TTB279SDS 5kg SDS+ Drill 240V | NoLinkingToThis as it looks like a beast of a machine that gets good reviews, comes with a 2 year warranty which is good for a £60 machine.....the extra's its coming with is a bargain too. This should cover all the heavy duty stuff I reckon....possibly overkill for chasing the wall as my initial post, but will be used for lots of other stuff in time.....hopefully.

Still need to get a grinder though....anyone use cordless ones or just best getting a corded one?

The drill also has a clutch for core drill.. its a bit on the heavy side but wont let u down. Just think after you've done a few job with it you'll be able to afford a lighter one

Old fashioned metod it is then

imagejpeg

or buy / hire a sds for the job

I always get flashbacks when I see a club hammer. Broke my arm with one as an apprentice! Missed the chisel by about 8 inches! It made my eyes water somewhat!

8 inches! Did you spend your dinner in the pub!? :)

The worst bit was the boss didn't believe me when it happened at 10am. Got to hospital at 7pm and had it put in a cast! Back to work the next day. Still able to pass tools with my left hand and make tea!

Erbauer ERB125Y 125mm Wall Chaser 230V | NoLinkingToThis may cost a bit but for ease of use, convenience and stick a vacuum on it to give dust free work the dogs bits, then charge the customer how long it would take to hand chisel it out to recoup the costs after all, they have to pay one or other to get the job done.

Erbauer ERB125Y 125mm Wall Chaser 230V | NoLinkingToThis may cost a bit but for ease of use, convenience and stick a vacuum on it to give dust free work the dogs bits, then charge the customer how long it would take to hand chisel it out to recoup the costs after all, they have to pay one or other to get the job done.

Looks like a good shout!

Aye it does look like would be perfect for the job....but none are in stock within reasonable distance from me...will keep an eye out over the next week or so as dont need it right now, unless there are other ones at similar price that folks know of?

I searched and found: Clarke CON1450WC 240V 1450W Wall Chaser - Power Tools, Grinders & Chasers, Wall Chasers

or Silverline 1200W 150mm 240v Wall Chaser - Power Tools, Grinders & Chasers, Wall Chasers

or 1700w Diamond Wall Chaser: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

these are all cheaper versions/models but wondered if anyone has tried any out?

Aye it does look like would be perfect for the job....but none are in stock within reasonable distance from me...will keep an eye out over the next week or so as dont need it right now, unless there are other ones at similar price that folks know of?

I searched and found: Clarke CON1450WC 240V 1450W Wall Chaser - Power Tools, Grinders & Chasers, Wall Chasers

or Silverline 1200W 150mm 240v Wall Chaser - Power Tools, Grinders & Chasers, Wall Chasers

or 1700w Diamond Wall Chaser: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

these are all cheaper versions/models but wondered if anyone has tried any out?
Stop trying to look for cheaper tools!! Buy cheap, buy twice. Its a saying that you should have in mind. Not always the case but 9 times out of 10

I agree with not buying cheap stuff usually, however it seems that a wall chaser is not very common tool and so not something I want to spend top price for....if however once I know what and how work will pan out once college course is complete and it turns out that im chasing walls loads then I will buy a better one.

Reason im looking for one now is im moving into new flat next week and I know im installing a shower as one of the early jobs to be done in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best way to channel pipes into bathroom wall for a shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
A
I have a mixer shower with standard 15cm inlet pipe spacing designed to accept vertical (downward) inlet pipes. The plumbing from my wall has two inlet pipes at the right (15cm) spacing, but they emerge straight out from the wall horizontally instead of descending vertically. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am new to this forum and would highly appreciate if someone could provide a guidance pls. Ours is a semi detached property with bungalow on the other side. The previous owner of our property did a 1st floor side and rear extension around 2015. The old bathroom was with saniflo system in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock