Search the forum,

Discuss Best / Most Cost Effective Pressfit (Copper) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worcester

Esteemed
Plumber
With all the solar work and other types of renewables that we do it's time to consider investing in a press-fit kit. :)

For those of you that don't know, in solar we can't generally use solder, so that usually means compression fittings with brass olives. However we know that we can get solar rated press-fit fittings.

We need 15,22,28,35 as a minimum, (and occassionally 42mm)

We're looking to speed up our work though and so are going to go down the press-fit / mapress / Xpress route. As we've not used them extensively before would like your guys feed back on which one to go for and why?

Cost of tool, cost of fittings, availability of fittings, compatibility of tools and fittings, who stocks what etc.

64 views and not a single reply :(

So I take no-one uses pressfit copper just your "anyone can be a plumber" push fit plastic instead :) or else it's "capillary solder for me boy, nothing else as good" :)

Lights touch paper and retires to safe distance :)

dont do solar but use mapress alot and easyily available however crimping tool is a nice cost

Our customers mostly seem to use DN16 pipe and fittings with solar.

Thanks Ray, our installations don't tend to be for 'typical' customers, our average domestic customer profile is 200m2 + property so installation is always more than a pair of DN16 pipes and fittings ! - almost always a thermal store and multiple other renewables sources:
Typical customers house :) - Solar PVT, Wood burning back burner heating stoves, GSHP and UFH reftrofit going in here:
cottage-10_small.jpg

We use yorkshire pressfit solar in work comes with a green rubber ring and is great stuff, quick and neat

I can't recommend Geberit enough.

I've regularly use anything from 15mm to 108mm and can't fault there fittings, pipe or equipment.

I can't comment on cost as this is handled through our buyer and all of our machines are hired through MEP. All of our fittings, stainless steel and carbon steel come's from Pipe Centre, Mapress don't produce copper pipe so just regular Yorkshire copper is used. As you are using 15-42mm you could get a battery crimper, the 110v versions are quite bulky and heavy.

As Michael Davis says for the solar pipework you need to swap the o-rings inside the fittings for the high temp ones, but this will all be explained once you've done the Geberit course!! :). We get a refresher course annually, it's quite good, they're always developing so there's always something new to learn.

The novopress battery powered tools are very good.

Just checked out your website worcester ! Nice! Would love to get experience in the same area.

i have only seen geberit used.

Give them a ring, sure they will come give you a demo

The best and most cost effective fitting for you would be one that the manufacturer guarantees for solar installation.
Most pressfit fittings, if you look at the manufacturers data, are only recommended for certain temperatures.
Solar Hot Water will have temperature up to and above at times of over 100 C and run at high temperatures for extended periods of time.
I would be looking at a product that is guaranteed, by the manufacturer, for temperatures that will be expected in solar installations.

For those of you that don't know, in solar we can't generally use solder, so that usually means compression fittings with brass olives. However we know that we can get solar rated press-fit fittings.
That is not correct at all, generally you can use solder.

That is not correct at all, generally you can use solder.

On SOME flat plate collector systems with a stagnation temperature below 210° you can get away with it (led free solders melt at around 230°)

So for systems with a higher stagnation temperature which include evacuated tube systems, unless you use silver solder, or copper brazing rods it is not suitable. - Hence best practice is considered compression fittings with brass olives or pressfit with solar rated 'O' rings.

At least the Pegler and Gerberit fittings have the same 'M' profile up to 67mm, so can use the same tool.

Problem now is local supply - nearest stockist 25 miles away :( Maybe time for postal service :)

Haven't you got bss near you?

try it on a job, wait 6 months and see if you get any issues, if not then off you go :)

Nearest BSS 25 miles in either direction, nearest PipeCenter 25 miles in either direction !!! - Birmingham or Gloucester in both cases, take your pick!

Wait 6 months?

You cant just wait for a failure and flood someone's house.

Get it right first time. Keep up the good work and good name of plumbers!

Not in that sense, try the pressfitting system and see if there are any teething issues with the installation.

From the sound of it and Worcester's website he's not doing little jobs and they arn't exactly standard designs.

If he completely switches over to press fitting for his solar work and 6 months down the line its "oh should have"

that could be a mighty issue if hes done a hundred grands worth of it!

Would you switch over to a completely different boiler manufacturer over night?

or would you test the waters first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best / Most Cost Effective Pressfit (Copper) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock