Search the forum,

Discuss Best Gas Torch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziggy

Folks,

I'm looking to buy a new gas torch and want a very reliable torch that can be used for both soldering and brazing, works upside down, etc.

Main focus is on reliability, so for all you professionals out there, what torches would you recommend as one that never lets you down, etc.

i have a rothenberger superfire 2 very good never let me down
oh and welcome to the forums ziggy

steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers gents ... the Rothenberger Superfire seems to come up over and over again as a very good torch ... I am definitley leaning towards that now especially as no one so far has recommended anything else!

For brazing, what type of gas is best for generating sufficient heat i.e. is propane sufficient or is MAPP needed?

Also, I have read the that Rothenberger Superfire 2 and the Benzomatic 7000 are the same torch and that Benzomatic actually make the Rothernberger but the Benzomatic is much cheaper!

The torches do look almost identical.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i had both rothernberger super fire 2 and bernzomatic 7000 and both are exactly the same

Rothenburger Superfire 2 for me too.
It is without doubt the prince of torches.

cheers rocky

Yeah, I have a Super Fire 2. Just replaced it after many good years of service. My business partner repairs his torch and actually bought the part to repair mine for a fiver and fixed it!

I just thought sod it and bought a new one, couldn't be bothered with all that. I have a question for you guys now...when I replaced it. The bloke in the merchants suggested I also buy the 'pencil' tip for the end. He said most people who buy a new torch also buy this tip (comes with a different jet too).... I must say the standard tip does produce a large flame.

Oh and as for brazing, I don't know if you'll get the required heat, even with Mapp gas. Not that I do it.

Yeah, I have a Super Fire 2. Just replaced it after many good years of service. My business partner repairs his torch and actually bought the part to repair mine for a fiver and fixed it!

I just thought sod it and bought a new one, couldn't be bothered with all that. I have a question for you guys now...when I replaced it. The bloke in the merchants suggested I also buy the 'pencil' tip for the end. He said most people who buy a new torch also buy this tip (comes with a different jet too).... I must say the standard tip does produce a large flame.

Oh and as for brazing, I don't know if you'll get the required heat, even with Mapp gas. Not that I do it.

Jusy normal tip on mine

Cheers for the reply Gray. I work with two other guys. Both with Super Fire 2's, both with standard tips. So I was a bit like.....

'Why are we the only ones without this wonderous pencil tip?!'

I see the bloke at PTS was just trying to flog me more crap I don't need. More reasons why now use a different merchants.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Got the Rothenberger Superfire 2 and some MAPP gas ... WOW ... what a torch ... I've struggled for years with an old Ronson butane torch that my father-in-law gave me!

Did some brazing (which is why I was looking for a new torch) ... piece of cake.

If anyone is reading this with same question, don't even think about it ... get the Superfire 2 ... you won't be disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Gas Torch? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock