Search the forum,

Discuss Bemused and baffled by overcompliacted domestic heating system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All,

Moved in with the good lady and inevitably took on the role of house trouble shooter.
Since the aforementioned moved in just over 1 year ago the radiators have never worked.
I've attached some pictures.
Can anybody help me out here as not sure where to start.
In the homeowners pack the builder stated 'we have left the heating on continuous on the programmer attached to the boiler so untill you set your programmes you can simply use the wireless room stat to choose the internal heat. This is for all the radiators'.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 37
You have a heat only boiler on an S plan system, feeding mains pressure HW cylinder, UFH and I assume some rads. You should find the instructions manual for the programmer and find how to set the schedules.

You need to start by turning the heating to on, them turn up the room thermostat ........ how did she survive for 1 year without heating?

Press the bottom right-most button once (or twice) and you will see the programmer cycle through the modes listed on the right hand side of the display. If you press that button until "CONT" is selected, your room stat can be used to switch the heating on and off.

Turn the room thermostat up past the actual temperature of the room and the boiler should fire and heat the room to that temperature. Turn the room stat down below the actual temperature of the room and it will shut off the heating until the air temperature drops to that level.

I control my heating this way. I set it at 19 deg. when I want heating and set it at 10 when I want the heating off.

Try setting at 25 degrees and see if the boiler kicks in. If it does adjust the temperature down to around 18 degrees. See if you are happy with that. If not turn it up a degree or two and see if that's OK.

I suspect that the problem is that the room thermostat is not talking to the Honeywell controller. The 'No Signal' error message is visible in image 3. Probable cause for this is either (a) batteries need replacing in the sender, or (b) there is a large metal object in the signal path.

Hello All,
Thanks for your replies.
Her Highness has extensive underfloor heating which has been used as the primary source of heating.
I switched the programmer RHS to continuous and the radiators sprung to life and worked very well.
My concern now is are we using this system efficiently and economically by having both sides of the programmer (both sides being hot water and heating??} on continuous and controlling rad with the TRVs?

My concern now is are we using this system efficiently and economically by having both sides of the programmer (both sides being hot water and heating??} on continuous and controlling rad with the TRVs?

When the heating and water are set to "continuous" the boiler will only run for water or heating as and when the thermostat on the water tank or room thermostat "call" for heat.

I would recommend that you set the programmes so they fit with your schedules and also look at the room stat to see if its programmable too.

I decreased the setting on the boiler hot water control to approx 45 degrees and the immersion supply switched off and the shower was the other extreme this morning - cold.
Admittedly, the bracing temperature shook me life so i was better prepared for the day.
Since i have increased the temp control to just over 50 degrees which is the e setting.
Still no idea where this thermostat is hiding but waiting on a call back from the house builders

I decreased the setting on the boiler hot water control to approx 45 degrees and the immersion supply switched off and the shower was the other extreme this morning - cold.
Admittedly, the bracing temperature shook me life so i was better prepared for the day.
Since i have increased the temp control to just over 50 degrees which is the e setting.
Still no idea where this thermostat is hiding but waiting on a call back from the house builders

This post, especially the comment in bold make no sense

Might be an anti tamper one look for a box with vents around 1.5m off the floor

Reply to Bemused and baffled by overcompliacted domestic heating system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock