Search the forum,

Discuss Belfast sink worktop cutting. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Have to fit a Belfast sink to an oak worktop. Have a jig on the way. Reading all the blurb about using the jig all the makes seem the same. Namely they state the worktop should overhang the sink by 10mm, both sides and rear. Also that the worktop should be level with a datum line drawn through the front of the sink by half its thickness. I have no idea why these figures have been selected can anyone enlighten me?

The internal width of the sink - 20mm eg 10mm either side

as for front the sink wants to be proud by half the thickness of the casting eg the thickness of the side divide 2

but most of the time there on the same front as the worktop

Agree with what you are saying my question why is it decided on 10mm and half the thickness of the sink? My sink is only 20mm thick anyway so basically worktop will cover half of thickness sides and back. Why can I not overlap it more say 15mm sides and back. And does it really matter if it overhangs the front by more than half the thickness? I have seen photos where they overhang by a lot more than that. And on another point not sure how this drip groove works. In my situation if I adhered to the 10mm sides/back and set the drip grove back another 5mm, as suggested, and routed it to 5mm width the edge of it will be directly inline with the sink edge?

I guess it gives maximum opening for pots and pans you can cut it to what ever size you want

I guess it gives maximum opening for pots and pans you can cut it to what ever size you want
Suppose one can just wondered who invented the 10mm:)
[automerge]1594285096[/automerge]
Attached is a drawing of my setup. Due to the sink only being 20mm thick setting back 10mm will not work evidenced by A
I will have to adopt one of the methods B or C .
C to my mind is best as none of the drip grove is in contact with the sink.
Most jig makers suggest a drip groove 5 -6mm wide but Trend suggest 2.5mm is fine.
sink x.jpg

Last edited:
C personally for me as it’s got a drip edge also maybe another grove further in for sealant ?

C definitely looks the best option and have seen photos with the worktop overhanging and they look okay to me.
Has been suggested I use Plumbers Gold for the sealant have you ever used it? I was just going to use a good silicon
sealant till pointed in the direction of this stuff.

Tbh it doesn’t really matter aslong as it’s decent

Reply to Belfast sink worktop cutting. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock