Search the forum,

Discuss Been a while since I asked... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
.... how the hell are you? lol I've been on the forums day and night for about 8 weeks now. But haven't asked how you guys are much, if at all.

So let's do it in one foul swoop. :D

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS AND GALS?

Lol , health wise ok ta , stressed to death with the useless ** council that have my wife and I’s life on hold .
Como estas ??

Lol , health wise ok ta , stressed to death with the useless ** council that have my wife and I’s life on hold .
Como estas ??
Oh no! Relying on any government run department for anything at all is bad!

All good hear Dan back from a weeks holiday straight back into a run of plumbing and heating jobs taking me up to crimbo all the best .Kop

health wise ok ish

work wise slow ish (waiting for builders to move there arse then i will be busy)

All good my end. Our new intake of 1st year apprentices started in the workshop a couple of weeks ago. I'm sounding them out, quietly keeping an eye for any potential "problem people", looking out for those that already need extra help and generally being my old encouraging self. Also enjoying looking like a total master on the pipe bender until I get them up to speed. :cool::D

This summer it's all been about legionella control and some general maintenance jobs. Removing dead legs from the 3 campuses, installing legionella control valves for showers, moving sinks from one room to another that I already moved last year, that kind of thing. Trying to invent a way to keep push-button showers held down so they can be flushed for 15 minutes. I found a product aimed at campers and gym users that holds the button down so that's good.

Thanks for asking.

.. how the hell are you? lol I've been on the forums day and night for about 8 weeks now. But haven't asked how you guys are much, if at all.

So let's do it in one foul swoop. :D

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS AND GALS?
Hi Dan, my plumbing and heating business is enjoying its best year in 20 and 2020 is looking better. Turning things around ...how are you Dan ? You certainly work hard in my opinion
I notice you are busy posting at odd times for others but not for me ...I start every day at 4.00.
Maybe you could put up a career profile then we can bridge the internet gap.

So Mine...published here ..I am 61 been in this game since early 80's Self Employed since then so Own my own business. I am happy and looking fwds and enjoy starting every day.
Ex wives litter the Uk and all my children and step children aswell, latest count 3 wives and 8 children step and not but all paid now, houses cars school fees you name it aww

Your Turn Dan
relax you have a great business over all the areas and its expanding,

If you want to cash in a bit then I know some fellas who would like to widen their portfolio
and buy a % .....these men are not asset strippers but 'financial farmers' who like to invest
and for a sustainable return , regards Rob Foster pm me

Last edited:
Hi Dan, my plumbing and heating business is enjoying its best year in 20 and 2020 is looking better. Turning things around ...how are you Dan ? You certainly work hard in my opinion
I notice you are busy posting at odd times for others but not for me ...I start every day at 4.00.
Maybe you could put up a career profile then we can bridge the internet gap.

So Mine...published here ..I am 61 been in this game since early 80's Self Employed since then so Own my own business. I am happy and looking fwds and enjoy starting every day.
Ex wives litter the Uk and all my children and step children aswell, latest count 3 wives and 8 children step and not but all paid now, houses cars school fees you name it aww

Your Turn Dan
relax you have a great business over all the areas and its expanding,

If you want to cash in a bit then I know some fellas who would like to widen their portfolio
and buy a % ...these men are not asset strippers but 'financial farmers' who like to invest
and for a sustainable return , regards Rob Foster pm me
There's not a chance on earth I'd let even 1 percent of this business go anywhere lol - There's not an investor on the planet that would know anything at all about this business. Even the one or two firms that by forums, run them into the ground.

We're here long-term we're not after big bucks. We just need enough to run is all. :)

I'm all good mate. The forums take a lot of time up when they've been upgraded and changed etc. And the timing can be all over the place. We never know when things are going to break.

But once they're running fine, Lou and I have the pleasure of working very little on the actual forums and usually just deal with complaints and enquiries via email etc. Which we can do from anywhere around the world, and do.

I hope I'm still doing this at 61. Used to be a tiler, and fractured a disc in my spine a few years ago and had cartilage out of both my knees this year. So that's out the window that's for sure!

I'd love 3 wives and 8 children! - Well done! :) ;)

Not sure @Lou would be happy about the other couple, but I certainly would be! haha

Thanks for your profile ...keep on Trucking ..regards Centralheatking
maybe we could meet up for lunch ...whats your post code ?
chking

Update on my situation. I jinxed my day with that last post saying "all good my end".

Just about to bung a pizza in the oven at lunchtime when I get a call from an unknown number. I'm standing in the bathroom with a minor hangover just about to get on the throne when I answer and it's my daughter...

"Dad, don't go mad but I've smashed the car, nobody is hurt, my phone has no battery and the guy I hit let me borrow his phone, he's being cool about it though."

Obviously I'm immediately relieved but I'm also obviously a bit annoyed to hear that she's just driven up the back of someone at a fortunate 15 mph. She says the car is trashed. The other guy's car is barely damaged. Also she's got her two year old in the back but she's as happy as normal, doesn't care one bit!

They are only 5 minutes away (like everywhere on Guernsey) so I drive down with my wife to assess the situation and thinking the car will need towing. I get there and she's on the pier over to one side with steam pouring out her bonnet and the guy she hit pulled up in front. I introduced myself, asked about all of their health, they did the insurance swap and I thanked the guy for staying with my daughter until I arrived.

He's got a tow bar and her little auto Chevrolet Matiz is totalled. His car has a 3 inch by 2 inch indentation on the bumper and nothing else fortunately. The tow bar ripped through the radiator and a few other important bits. As she only lives five minutes away (up a huge winding hill mind!) I decide to try to drive it home, the wife, daughter and granddaughter to follow.

I'm driving up the hill and immediately get stuck behind a mad cyclist riding up our longest biggest hill and the temperature warning light is on (no proper gauge), the engine warning light too but I press on at 4mph behind the cyclist for what seemed like hours but was only about 4 minutes. As the poor car reaches the top she's losing power, steaming has stopped (no water left in it now) but it's stinking like burning engine and I'm slightly relieved knowing I have a fire extinguisher in the car with the wife behind.

I'm on the flat, the home straight and I make it back to the daughter's house where I can get the car off the road.

She's totalled, car's worth about £500 and the damage to the front end is extensive. My daughter is not working at the moment so I'll be shelling out for a new car soon. Thankfully we don't have the MOT here (yet) so I'll find another sub £1000 car for her and she'd better pay better attention in future!

I couldn't be too harsh as I wrote off my first car the second day I had it.

Thanks for your profile ...keep on Trucking ..regards Centralheatking
maybe we could meet up for lunch ...whats your post code ?
chking
Staffordshire. I'm going to Construction Week on the 9th. FIXRADIO tradesman of the year awards. We have a tilers whos in the final 5. He's got VIP pass etc. We've got press passes.

Cold, wet, damp, overworked and underpaid.

How are you?

Btw Im nearly at the end of my gas safe course. Should be registered by xmas hopefully.
I love it already tbh and all Iv done is a few jobs for my portfolio.
To be fair and honest, I have a good teacher/mentor.

Ok Staffordshire ..no problem Dan I pass that on M6 every week.. what junction ?
then I will set up a place for Lunch ..let me know Rob Foster ...chking

Great to here we are all good .
Theres nobody that moans more than me regarding the old work / life / money balance but what I always try remember is my favourite phrase ,
“ your health is your wealth “

Ok Staffordshire ..no problem Dan I pass that on M6 every week.. what junction ?
then I will set up a place for Lunch ..let me know Rob Foster ...chking
J15 mate. But it's okay. If we did that with all the members we wouldn't get through the year. And would be heavy to transport. :)

Thanks for the offer though. :)

I'm good mate. Well done for nearing the end of the course!

You'll be a perfect candidate for our new trainee / mentor area.
Is your teacher online?

I dont think hes on the forum. Hes ex british gas engineer so hes been doing repairs and servicing before I was born.

After 5 years or so I might go into teaching too tbh. Thats the thing with the gas industry. There are so many avenues and channels you can persue.

I dont think hes on the forum. Hes ex british gas engineer so hes been doing repairs and servicing before I was born.

After 5 years or so I might go into teaching too tbh. Thats the thing with the gas industry. There are so many avenues and channels you can persue.
That sounds brilliant! :)

You'd be perfect for the area too then! I need to finish setting it up to be honest. Seems like we should have a fair few heads that are suitable already. :)

All is well in Yorkshire, we have a full diary up to crimbo and booking work for 2020 now. Just waiting for the heating season to kick in an mess up the diary big style with call outs as it allus does. Just got back from a short break and all fresh n ready for the winter challenge.

It is super raining here, gone dead dark and absolutely chucking it down.... I hope there is a thunderstorm.

Hows the weather for everyone?

:D had to have the lights on and yep thundering and peeing it down

This week will be fair t'middling, with a dowly start in some places. No risk of it crackin' t'flags I'm afraid, but it is October. It's a bit black over yon at r Bill's mother's so make sure you've got a brolly, as it's forecast to be chuckin' it down by teatime. ( My Yorkshire forecast lol).

Update on the daughter's car situation. She trashed her car on Saturday, Monday I went into work and asked the guys in the Motor Vehicle department to keep an eye out for a small auto. The motor vehicle technician said "It's your lucky day!" He'd literally just finished doing up a 1.4 litre Chevrolet Aveo with auto transmission. Was selling it for £1500 as he'd done a fair few hours on it and replaced the head and a few other things. It was a fair bit out of my price range but he said "£1200 seeing as it's you" and I went for it. It's in good order and been gone over by a very good mechanic which gives some peace of mind at least.

Unfortunately my daughter informed me yesterday that her driving license just expired :rolleyes: so I've had to take the morning off and sort that out but as of an hour ago I got her back on the road.

I think that I should get a world record entry for going from smashed car on Saturday to on the road with a new one Tuesday. What a relief! Bonus fact - Her insurance only went up by £12 even after informing them about the accident so that's a relief.

hi Stigster.
I am from the Paradise island next.
I have retired to Spain been here 19 years, you can still buy a pint for 2.50€, I am just back on the forum after a few years,
How is business in Guernsey I understand it is booming in jersey.
Reading your post reminded me so much of Jersey.

hi Stigster.
I am from the Paradise island next.
I have retired to Spain been here 19 years, you can still buy a pint for 2.50€, I am just back on the forum after a few years,
How is business in Guernsey I understand it is booming in jersey.
Reading your post reminded me so much of Jersey.

Business is good for the local firms working here. I am working at the local FE trade school the last few years but employers took on 9 new first year apprentices this academic year which is a sign of healthy trade. In the years where things have been slack we get far fewer new lads through the door.

If anything they are over-building here right now, stacks of new builds going up all over the North half of the island. Being so densely populated there is always enough maintenance, extensions and refits going on to keep most plumbers busy. The island isn't quite recession proof but we have historically always faired better than the UK when there is a downturn.

Nice to hear from you, Monsieur Crapaud! ;) :D

Update on the daughter's car situation. She trashed her car on Saturday, Monday I went into work and asked the guys in the Motor Vehicle department to keep an eye out for a small auto. The motor vehicle technician said "It's your lucky day!" He'd literally just finished doing up a 1.4 litre Chevrolet Aveo with auto transmission. Was selling it for £1500 as he'd done a fair few hours on it and replaced the head and a few other things. It was a fair bit out of my price range but he said "£1200 seeing as it's you" and I went for it. It's in good order and been gone over by a very good mechanic which gives some peace of mind at least.

Unfortunately my daughter informed me yesterday that her driving license just expired :rolleyes: so I've had to take the morning off and sort that out but as of an hour ago I got her back on the road.

I think that I should get a world record entry for going from smashed car on Saturday to on the road with a new one Tuesday. What a relief! Bonus fact - Her insurance only went up by £12 even after informing them about the accident so that's a relief.
Spot on Dad-work that is mate. Well done.

what is the speed limit in Guernsey now.
I have not worked since?, plastic pipe for heating and water was starting to take hold, it never looks great. A nice plant /boiler room in copper looks so neat and tidy.
As as I can see people won't be able to use bending machines.
Here as in most of Europe , flexible from valve to tap is a good thing.
Richard

what is the speed limit in Guernsey now.
I have not worked since?, plastic pipe for heating and water was starting to take hold, it never looks great. A nice plant /boiler room in copper looks so neat and tidy.
As as I can see people won't be able to use bending machines.
Here as in most of Europe , flexible from valve to tap is a good thing.
Richard

Max speed limit is 35mph. People may laugh but it's fast enough given how many cars there are on the road, the fact than the majority of our roads are not truly suitable for two way traffic, not at any greater speed anyway. Any road within a certain distance of an "Urban Centre" has recently become 25mph.

There's plenty of plastic pipe going in but all of our students learn to be proficient in copper tube bending before they get too far in to the trade. Copper is my favourite plumbing material by far and I try to promote its use wherever possible and practical. We still teach lead work too even though it's no longer on the course. If an apprentice shows interest or an employer requests it we always put aside some time for them to learn. On this course they use some plastic but the majority of the tasks are in copper and also some steel.

I really disdain the way that plastic and pushfit has taken a lot of the craft away from the trade and allowed the rise of the builder/kitchen fitter/handyman who also does plumbing.

Max speed limit is 35mph. People may laugh but it's fast enough given how many cars there are on the road, the fact than the majority of our roads are not truly suitable for two way traffic, not at any greater speed anyway. Any road within a certain distance of an "Urban Centre" has recently become 25mph.

There's plenty of plastic pipe going in but all of our students learn to be proficient in copper tube bending before they get too far in to the trade. Copper is my favourite plumbing material by far and I try to promote its use wherever possible and practical. We still teach lead work too even though it's no longer on the course. If an apprentice shows interest or an employer requests it we always put aside some time for them to learn. On this course they use some plastic but the majority of the tasks are in copper and also some steel.

I really disdain the way that plastic and pushfit has taken a lot of the craft away from the trade and allowed the rise of the builder/kitchen fitter/handyman who also does plumbing.
The house I've moved into has plastic welded 90 degree bends in all sink and basin waste pipes and its becoming a problem. I can't fix anything permanently around them (tiling etc) so I'm having to replace the lot one by one as I do other bits in the same room.

The bloody electrics too! Don't get me started :D

DIY eh. :D

The house I've moved into has plastic welded 90 degree bends in all sink and basin waste pipes and its becoming a problem. I can't fix anything permanently around them (tiling etc) so I'm having to replace the lot one by one as I do other bits in the same room.

The bloody electrics too! Don't get me started :D

DIY eh. :D

??? Why are you getting the wastes changed as there solvent welded ?

It's the bends are 90 degrees. So the flow across the bathroom is level. And it's backflowing when I run the taps for a while brushing teeth or shaving etc. Then if you flush the loo half way through that, it gulps a bit. I always expect it backfire lol.

It needs a fall on it and the rigid joint isn't allowing any movement. And if I force it, I worry the weak point is going to end up being the trap.

So as I get round to it I'm replacing the trap from U to P is it? And then I've got a bit of play and can make a fall to the neck thing on the stack, and then box it in better and tile it knowing it's always emptying and not eventually going to block with gunk.

I'm clearly not a plumber lmao I just read that back and literally can't improve on the wording but it's not fully making sense.

When I get round to the bathroom it's having a fair makeover so am taking snaps for the tiling side of things and will take some of the setup see what you lads think.

It's defo not right though the way it's plumbed. The guy who did it didn't consider gravity. Or something.

Orrrrr I drizzle the tap and it flows away right, but then I worry about it not ever washing away build up. It's not really got the movement of water then to wash away everything properly. Ewwwwww.

Reply to Been a while since I asked... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock