Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming multitrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparkman

Hi, i am currently a 3rd yr apprentice electrician and am wondering if you need to be multi trade now days? i was thinking about doing a plumbing,bricklaying or joinery course but unsure which one?

Plumbing and electrics is a good combination.

I wet plumb, gas and oil plumb and I'm qualified for renewables solar thermal and Ground/Air source heat pumps plus I service appliances and do domestic electrics. All that and I know how to plaster & tile to a professional standard too. I've stopped doing the tiling/plastering as it's messy hard work, but I think you get the gist. It's good to have a few strings to your bow. Just don't over do it and be a 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

Last edited:
Hi. The skills as a sparks are transferable. You measure, mark and mitre cable duct etc as an example, you work in places where the skills you mention are taking place. Why not communicate and watch and ask those doing it. Most of us with skill are only to pleased to show off to others if an interest is shown. Questioning you reasons, if money is your goal (as mine was) you will find sparking to be far superior money wise. With the introduction of renewable energy and the compliance that surrounds it. I feel sure electricians with a handle on this technology will be in great demand as it rolls out.

"Sparking" or "Ladies work" :) if you like. It's a good money spinner and mixes with Plumbing at many points. So its worth while doing a course in it.

Mind you it depends how far you want to go with it? Are you going to want to work on the National Grid, build computerised electronic systems, commercial, industrial or just stay domestic?

Funnily enough most people even Plumber's on the website don't seem to talk much about going into the commercial or industrial Plumbing markets?

Probably the out lay would be to much. But there is usually plenty of repair work in these areas. However I suppose you woudl need a bit of bottle to offer the likes of a car plant your services. But hey! Why not?

As to a "chippie" or a "rough house brikkie" well its good to be able to do a bit of both, but you hardly need to be fully skilled in either, just get to know a few modules.

But perhaps expect protests off the other trades if you go over to much into their areas they want to make a living as well.

Tiling is another area as is glazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming multitrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Free CSCS Card | Free Plumbers CSCS Cards If you're looking for free CSCS cards, and you meet the general requirements, then please do contact our training centres who may be able to help you out. Tiling Courses and Tiling training From Chase Tiling Academy and Construction Assessment...
Replies
Views
that bloke.
T
R
Hi guys, im 21 and have recently completed a fast track course for tech cert. 6129 level 2 in basic plumbing skills but like alot others on here am finding it difficult to find a position in the plumbing industry to continue my training. I have found a position however as an apprentice...
Replies
Views
rueben2288
R
B
In another mail Brian was saying how lead work is the only skill element now left in Plumbing. I would agree to a certain extent. Copper pipe is easy enough to bend but still takes a bit of skill. Sheet copper has virtually become a niche market and lots of it seems to be done by machine now...
Replies
Views
Mushybees
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock