Search the forum,

Discuss BBC .. Couples 48 year old boiler finally packs up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
An elderly couple are finally replacing their 48 year old boiler. Mr and Mrs Braddick bought their boiler in 1971 for £200 when they moved in. The couple say they never had any problems with it. Mr Braddick from Northam in Devon says he thought the boiler came with a 50 year guarrantee but he has lost the paperwork. It equates to £2500 at 2019 prices
It is a Hotspur Oil Fired installed and serviced by the same man all this time.
71DAD8F7-F077-4436-8541-92E11489FC91.png

Attachments

• F0503E3F-C06B-4034-9ED9-95B7D22BEDB4.png
    F0503E3F-C06B-4034-9ED9-95B7D22BEDB4.png
    475.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Enlighten me please chking

Trigger won a medal from the council for his money-saving maintenance on equipment. He declared he's had the same broom for 20 years "only" having to replace the head 17 times and the handle only 14 times. When asked "How can it possibly be the same broom?" he produced an old photograph of him with it saying "what more proof do you need".

It's a British comedy classic moment. The delivery is what really made it. You can find it on youtube just searching Trigger's Broom.

I haven’t seen a Hotspur oil boiler for many years now.
They usually were only replaced because customers thought they were perhaps would eventually pack in. But they rarely failed and I don’t remember any leaking.
Not much moving parts except a motor though.
I have replaced an oil boiler recently that was perfectly working, virtually original and near 60 years old.

They don't make them like they used to. Good luck getting 50 years out of any modern oil boiler, my guess is 5-7 before problems arise

Some of the modern (Grant) condensing oil boilers I have installed are now well over 10 years old and so far no bother at all with them and no parts needed except the usual nozzle and oil hose at a service. So fingers crossed they last many more years.
I think if the install is done properly, good servicing and the boiler decent quality it should last well.

I agree Best to a degree. Like you we installed a lot of Grant, I liked their boilers so much i chose to do my OFTEC through Grant in Wiltshire but even their boilers aren't invincible Riello burners are usually pretty bomb proof but we all know their pumps are c**p. If the system is installed correctly, flushed, dosed and regularly maintained and all points checked then yes its lifespan is vastly improved, however a lot of people install wrong or the customer doesn't have it routinely maintained, its swings and roundabouts.

I agree Best to a degree. Like you we installed a lot of Grant, I liked their boilers so much i chose to do my OFTEC through Grant in Wiltshire but even their boilers aren't invincible Riello burners are usually pretty bomb proof but we all know their pumps are c**p. If the system is installed correctly, flushed, dosed and regularly maintained and all points checked then yes its lifespan is vastly improved, however a lot of people install wrong or the customer doesn't have it routinely maintained, its swings and roundabouts.
Was it Honeywell control box , and the boiler had to be perfectly level, or the flame ended up on one side.

Reply to BBC .. Couples 48 year old boiler finally packs up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock