Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi Platinum 33 HE Losing Pressure Having To Top Up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone and I hope someone can help.

Five years ago I had a new central heating system installed with a Baxi Platinum 33 HE in a 10 year warranty. It is service by a Baxi Engineer every September and I never have to touch it.

Anyway, I had a new wet room installed in my small bathroom and a towel radiator was relocated to the opposite wall.

Ever since completion I lose pressure every day, no heat, no hot water and get the error code. I have to open up the valves to top up the system for a few seconds and everything works for about another 24 hours.

Two things I have noticed though. After turning on the heating the bar pressure gauge will go slightly into the red and can go as high as right to the end of the red.

Could anyone advise what this might be. I would really appreciate it. I have also made sure all radiators are bled correctly.

Thanks,

CH

What pressure are you topping it upto ?

1. When water is heated, it expands.
2. In a system such as yours, this expansion is accommodated in an expansion vessel. This is a closed container, with a rubber diaphragm across the middle. One side has air in it, the other is open to the water in the system. As the water expands, it compresses the air.
3. Three possible reasons for the problem you have are:
3a. The expansion vessel has lots its charge of air, so the water has "taken over" the vessel, leaving little or no room for expansion. Air charge needs to be re-established.
3b. The diaphragm has ruptured, giving the same effect as 3a, but requiring replacement of the vessel.
3c. It is normal to allow 4% of the total volume of water in the system for expansion. If the number of radiators now means that 4% of the system volume is more than the capacity of the expansion vessel the vessel cannot accommodate the expanded volume. This is the least likely of the reasons.
4. If the system cannot contain the expansion, a pressure relief valve opens and dumps water to outside. When the system then cools again, the water volume dumped is lost, and the cold pressure falls, requiring a top up.
5. Constantly topping up brings more aerated water into the system, which can cause corrosion of the radiators from the inside.
6. I'd suggest getting your regular service person to check and fix your system as soon as practical.

Reply to Baxi Platinum 33 HE Losing Pressure Having To Top Up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Guys, I have installed a boiler "Baxi Platinum+ 40Kw Combi" on the outer wall in the loft. It works fine for 1 or 2 days and then it gives E1 33 error randomly. It is connected to the Hive Thermostat too. I have checked all the common reasons for getting this error but in no way could...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. I’m new here and due to have a new boiler fitted. Does anyone have recommendations or thoughts on either the Worcester 8000 40KW Combi or the Baxi 40kw Platinum or the Valliant EcoTec Plus 838. The Worcester is the most costly but I’m happy to pay more if it means a better boiler (long term...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock