Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi Boiler keeps losing pressure. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

My boiler is a fairly new installation (just under a year) and the pressure constantly drops at night after the central heating has been on. I only just re-pressurised the boiler last night to 1.4 bars and the boiler lost all of the pressure after being on for only a few hours during the evening.

The only leak that I can see is from a plastic pipe below the boiler that seems to lead outside which I’m pretty sure is the condensate pipe. Could this pipe be what’s causing the loss in pressure? Because I cannot see any other leaks.

I also would like to know if this thing is normal…
After re-pressuring the boiler and turning on the hot water moments ago, the boilers casing visibly expanded, which concerned me and I turned the water straight back off. Is this a normal part of operation as I have never seen the boilers casing physically expand with a thump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t want to use my hot water right now.

I know the boiler losing pressure isn’t normal but do you mean the expansion of the boilers casing is the main cause for concern?
Yes, stop using immediately until rectified. I’ve witnessed it a few times, but only once on a new boiler, which I called the manufacturer out under the warranty.

Yes, stop using immediately until rectified. I’ve witnessed it a few times, but only once on a new boiler, which I called the manufacturer out under the warranty.
Thanks for the replies, I had the person that fitted the boiler come check it out and he said that the boiler is working completely fine and he replaced the leaking condensate pipe.

He thinks the leak may be underneath the floorboards in the house and not a problem inside the boiler itself.

The boiler expanding didn’t seem to happen though when he initially tested it after I told him about the issue.

He just said he’s never heard of anything like that and thought it was strange.

Do you guys think the boiler will be okay?

Thanks again.

Hard to say, as we’ve not got eyes on site, not do we know much about it, eg make model. If it’s that young, I’d be looking at a warranty call, or least a call to manufacturer, let them make the decision.

Even if its not under warranty see what they say about this "bulging boiler"
I may have made it sound a bit worse than it actually is, the boilers casing only expanded for like a second or two and then made a thump when it went back to its original size.

The central heating and water has been on for about 3 hours and the boiler seems okay right now. Hopefully it stays that way. I appreciate the help :)

It shouldn’t do it t all, unless there’s an issue.
I’m not really sure what to do, because the plumber that fitted it has said it’s fine after coming and looking at it today and running some tests but you guys say it’s not.

Do you have any idea why the boiler casing could have expanded? Because the plumber that came round had no idea because he said he had never seen it before.

Thanks again.

Post some pictures of the boiler and pipes underneath and outside.
Give us a chance to help.
Here’s some images of the boiler and pipes. If you need any others I’ll happily take some more.

Attachments

• 629F20C5-1FAD-4077-9B43-CB92C69CCD0E.jpeg
    629F20C5-1FAD-4077-9B43-CB92C69CCD0E.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0E075F24-C72F-4E4B-821B-7D941B9319CA.jpeg
    0E075F24-C72F-4E4B-821B-7D941B9319CA.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 16
  • CC34D4B3-3876-4CA6-AB08-5BD566EDA3BA.jpeg
    CC34D4B3-3876-4CA6-AB08-5BD566EDA3BA.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 11
  • D0C1C5ED-83C7-44F3-A5D1-E3CC7A141C24.jpeg
    D0C1C5ED-83C7-44F3-A5D1-E3CC7A141C24.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 14
Easy to know if it’s the system or boiler

Turn the left hand and right hand far valves off and turn the heating off for x amount of time eg for how long it takes to normally drop / loose pressure

Easy to know if it’s the system or boiler

Turn the left hand and right hand far valves off and turn the heating off for x amount of time eg for how long it takes to normally drop / loose pressure
The plumber did that earlier but only for like 5-10 minutes and then said it’s not the boiler at fault.

Does it normally drop within 5-10 mins every time you fill / notice it errored out ?

Does it normally drop within 5-10 mins every time you fill / notice it errored out ?
It’s usually overnight after the heating has been on. I will have to see if the pressure drops again tonight I guess.

But the other night when I posted on here and you replied, telling me how to re-pressurise the boiler. I did so up to about 1.3-1.4 mark and then the following morning it was at about 0.8.

I’m guessing the system was cold when you topped the system up ?

Where does the white pipe go?
Can you follow its route
It leads outside I’m pretty sure, here’s a picture of the two pipes, I think it leads into the black one.

The white pipe under the boiler did get replaced earlier on though by the plumber and it’s not leaked since.

Attachments

• 7B44906B-27A9-4C6C-B4CA-F52E84BBA2CC.jpeg
    7B44906B-27A9-4C6C-B4CA-F52E84BBA2CC.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 201CEBD1-876A-4499-A0CD-75345127F702.jpeg
    201CEBD1-876A-4499-A0CD-75345127F702.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 11
No that’s fine does the black pipe go into the path ?

Reply to Baxi Boiler keeps losing pressure. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable After i re-pressurize to 1.5 bar, using tap is ok without problem. but when turn on the central heating, the pressure rises over 2 and the error code 117 showing water pressure high After i did the bleeding and re-pressurize to 1.3 bar, the heating is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi all,new to the forum and hoping to get some guidance through the boiler minefield . We moved into a 70s bungalow last Feb,its got a Greensted 241 junior mark 3. The expansion tank has failed, also it has a Boss therm sender unit wired to it but the previous owner didn't leave the receiver...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock