Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 105he leaking after servicing with diverter valve kit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. After experiencing issues with luke warm hot water and reading about the relative simplicity of refurbishing the diverter valve in the Baxi 105 he I went ahead and did the job (with some trepidation)
To my relief the boiler is now working much better, however it is also leaking a fair bit. The refurb kit came with a small pouch of grease and I applied this as well as I could where it seemed sensible to do so. Mainly on the actuator pins that contact the microswitches.
Clearly it was insufficient though as the leak is not one that can be ignored.
I'm not really clear as to where/how much grease to apply. One leak is coming from one of the unoccupied screw holes that hold the diverter vale assy on. there are 4 holes but only 2 screws (from online vids this seems normal). The leak is around the actator pin, can I liberally apply grease in the diaphragm cavity? I assumed water circulated through here, so would wash grease away. Am I missing somewhere else to put the grease? EG between the diverter itself and the main body (the cavity into which the four screw holes go?)
It's disappointing after summoning the courage to tackle the issue (and doing so successfully) to find this small but not ignorable problem remains.

Hi all. After experiencing issues with luke warm hot water and reading about the relative simplicity of refurbishing the diverter valve in the Baxi 105 he I went ahead and did the job (with some trepidation)
To my relief the boiler is now working much better, however it is also leaking a fair bit. The refurb kit came with a small pouch of grease and I applied this as well as I could where it seemed sensible to do so. Mainly on the actuator pins that contact the microswitches.
Clearly it was insufficient though as the leak is not one that can be ignored.
I'm not really clear as to where/how much grease to apply. One leak is coming from one of the unoccupied screw holes that hold the diverter vale assy on. there are 4 holes but only 2 screws (from online vids this seems normal). The leak is around the actator pin, can I liberally apply grease in the diaphragm cavity? I assumed water circulated through here, so would wash grease away. Am I missing somewhere else to put the grease? EG between the diverter itself and the main body (the cavity into which the four screw holes go?)
It's disappointing after summoning the courage to tackle the issue (and doing so successfully) to find this small but not ignorable problem remains.

The leak will be coming from the small o ring on the diverter valve body - as the domestic hot water pressure switch assembly moves forward and backward when you open and close a hot tap, heating water will squirt past the o ring.

Its a simple fix if you fancy it.

Isolate electrical supplies to the boiler.

Drain the boiler using the drain point on the RHS of the boiler, whilst you're at it top up the pre-charge in the expansion vessel to 0.8bar, then check the Schrader valve isn't letting-by using some leak detector fluid. NB No not touch the heating isolation valves, leave them well alone.

Remove the DHW micro switch from the diverter valve/pressure switch by unscrewing the Phillips screw and push the switch to the side out of the way.

Isolate the cold mains inlet to the boiler (this one is usually fine to use) and open a hot tap (ideally one lower than the boiler), leave the hot tap open.

Now remove both of the small copper pipes from the top of the DHW pressure switch assembly and carefully lift the pipes up.

Then remove the two retaining screws which hold the pressure switch to the diverter valve (where you mentioned water is dripping from). Also, its normal to have two holes there, it gives you the option of where to place the screws.

The pressure switch assembly should now come off, exposing the leaking o ring on the diverter valve.

Place a bucket under the LHS of the boiler in preparation to catch any water which may dribble out of the boiler.

Now use a large spanner to remove the gland nut from the diverter valve (its not hexagonal, but an adjustable spanner will work. NB they are tight as hell. You can also use some grips placed through the cut out on the bottom of the boiler. It may also come off with part of the diverter valve spindle attached, don't worry this is normal, but make a mental note of its orientation.

Once you've removed this, take the spindle in your hand separate it from the nut and use a bit of wire wool and remove any black deposits on the spindle. It should be chrome in colour, yours will probably be black.

Then get the gland nut in your hand. You'll notice that it has a white plastic packer on the inside, that packer retains the o ring. To remove it and get access to the o ring, take one of the two screws from the boiler case front fascia (you will have removed these to get the front case off) and screw it into the white bit of plastic a couple of turns. Then use a pair of pliers and pull on the screw, the white plastic packer will follow and you'll have exposed the o ring, use a small screwdriver to poke to o ring out.

The o rings aren't to my knowledge available as a spare part from Baxi, but are available online if you look, however you get the same sized o ring in their diagram repair kit so I usually pinch one from there.

Replace the O ring and with the plastic packer still attached to the screw, lightly tap the screw and the packer back into place.

Put some grease on the spindle and push it back into the gland nut (remember which way it went?)

Put a couple of turns of PTFE around the thread/oring of the gland nut prior to putting it all back together as you took it off.

I usually hold off on reattaching the differential pressure switch and turning on the cold water mains until I've pressurised the boiler and used a screwdriver to push the pin in and out a few times on the diverter valve to check for leaks.

Finally, when you reattach the two small copper pipes back, be extremely careful not to cross thread them and dont over tightened them!

Hope that helps, as it took ages to write!

Regards, Guy

Guy, thank you so much for such a thorough answer. I did actually demount the entire valve assembly when I did the refurb (not just the diverter part). So getting it all back together and working felt like a triumph. I replaced the gland nuts which were prefitted with the plastic inserts, but did not realise the o ring should be retained in there too. I could tell the o rings were sized for those spindles though so put one on the internal spindle, wondering what good it could be doing there! the refurb kit provided new diaphragms and spindles as well as brass parts so all are clean.
(this one: Baxi Combi 80E 105E 105HE Diverter Valve Repair Kit 248061 248062 NEW | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baxi-Combi-80E-105E-105HE-Diverter-Valve-Repair-Kit-248061-248062-NEW/282395177591?hash=item41c0107277:g:QjIAAOSwHAxcJhqF)
Hopefully I still have an o ring left or i'll have to reopen the main body to retrieve it.
BTW, I did switch off all ingoing valves (apart from gas) and due to an earlier issue with my boiler the expansion vessel is external and replaces the internal one. I figured isolating the heating circuit in this way maintained the pressure on the vessel

Guy, thank you so much for such a thorough answer. I did actually demount the entire valve assembly when I did the refurb (not just the diverter part). So getting it all back together and working felt like a triumph. I replaced the gland nuts which were prefitted with the plastic inserts, but did not realise the o ring should be retained in there too. I could tell the o rings were sized for those spindles though so put one on the internal spindle, wondering what good it could be doing there! the refurb kit provided new diaphragms and spindles as well as brass parts so all are clean.
(this one: Baxi Combi 80E 105E 105HE Diverter Valve Repair Kit 248061 248062 NEW | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baxi-Combi-80E-105E-105HE-Diverter-Valve-Repair-Kit-248061-248062-NEW/282395177591?hash=item41c0107277:g:QjIAAOSwHAxcJhqF)
Hopefully I still have an o ring left or i'll have to reopen the main body to retrieve it.
BTW, I did switch off all ingoing valves (apart from gas) and due to an earlier issue with my boiler the expansion vessel is external and replaces the internal one. I figured isolating the heating circuit in this way maintained the pressure on the vessel
No worries!

Ive not fitted one of the ebay kits, but Id have thought that the o rings would have already been in place if the plastic inserts were already fitted, but definitely check.

Did you replace the o ring on the rear of the water differential pressure switch assembly? That one isn't held in by a plastic insert and is instead held in place by a brass nut.

The other thing I would recommend to identify where the source of the leak is, is keeping the boiler pressurised and just removing the pressure switch assembly first (obviously turn the mains water off). That way, you'll be able to check the pin on the diverter valve for leaks. If its not leaking from there with the boiler pressurised then it'll have to the the o ring Ive just mentioned.

I think that's it then, the kit only includes one loose small o ring, so presumably as you say any others are already prefitted inside the nut with the plastic bush. So if I understand you, the final ring should go in the back of the water diverter. I don't think I did put one there. To be honest, I expected to be able to identify where rings and flat washers went by replacing like with like, but the original ones had deteriorated to such an extent I was left with a few that I didn't know where to fit. I put what I could where I could and seemed sensible, but I think this last spot in the back of the diverter was missed.
I'm away for a week or so, so won't have chance to confirm this, but i'll update here when I do.
Meanwhile my wife is having to empty a bucket in the loft every few days!
The degree of respect she has for my DIY plumbing skills is variable

Just to finally update that you were spot on, the small O ring at the back of the diverter was perished and I hadn't found it to replace it initially. After that I had to reapply grease to the removable part to the right of the valve assy held on with two allen bolts. The back connection towards the heat plate heat exchanger was also weeping. Once all that was done it's been working well and not leaking. Proper hot showers again! Thank you again for your help.

Reply to Baxi 105he leaking after servicing with diverter valve kit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello folks, I am hoping some of you may be able to provide you perspective on what is looks like could be a serious problem. I am a complete novice so please bear with me... Full house renovation with all new pipe work, unvented megaflo cylinder, secondary return, pump, water softer etc. 1...
Replies
Views
I am trying to troubleshoot a Baxi Luna 3 Combi boiler 8 years old, that is not making any hot water. It is in a customers second home, and receives little usage. Over 2 days, hot water was getting less hot, until now none at all. When I call for heat, and the unit fires fine. There are no...
Replies
Views
Baxi main Ecco 25 combi boiler the bypass pipe 5114715 is leaking from both ends one end fits into the the 3 way valve assy
Replies
Views
    • Love
I recently moved to a house with an oil fired Aga. After it sooted up, I adjusted the settings on the BM-30 type oil control valve but am struggling to get it settled again. The Aga is overheating even when the low fire is set at the lowest setting. I couldn't find a clear set of instructions...
Replies
Views
Hi due to a leak in diverter valve I bought a diverter valve kit and changed all the components after cleaning out the bloc. I also took off the heat exchanger whilst i was inside the boiler and gave it a complete descale. when i reassembled everything i seemed to no longer have HOT water in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock