Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 105e Advice Please (Repair or Replace) ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All,

First post here, I confess to being wet behind the ears with Baxi 105e major problem so its Urgent!

It started with Flame Failure Error > Gas Engineer got it working (No Parts Needed) but it went out again 2 hours later, On his 2nd visit he said that the problem must be with the flue pipes leaking air maybe due to corrosion of the inner pipe upsetting the balance.

The Boiler is now turned off pending a visit to quote me for a new Combi replacement (?). What I found odd was that I was told the faulty parts (Flue Pipes) are unlikely to be available anymore even though the boiler itself is working fine... The boiler is located in a draft free garage with the flue outlet installed from the top of the boiler and exiting the opposite wall horizontally about 3 meters away, all well supported and nothing appears to be dislodged? So...

1> Does this fault make any sense? Is it possible a condensation issue?
2> Is it true that the flue pipes can no longer be sourced? I am very surprised
3> Any good replacement please? Something ideally capable of more LPM than the old Baxi
4> Any examples of how much I can expect to pay? Just as a guide will do.
5> I am avoiding British Gas on principle, Any other outfits I should stay away from? I am in the CT12 area if you have any recommendations.

Thank you for any feedback gratefully receive.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You can always get a second opinion
Thanks,

Correct, I can and its in hand, Meanwhile any such opinion may not be in the best of my interest as ultimately lots of money is involved and an opportunity waiting. Buyer Beware!

Sorry to be cynical but 2 years ago I had to report a 'Gas Safe' in your neck of the woods when he thought I was an idiot and tried to rip me off with a massive £500+ bill for bits that didn't need fixing! ... I checked the Database only to discover that his Registration had lapsed months ago yet he was still very busy... So I phoned and reported him, I can't praise enough the help and support I received, I was even offered a site visit to inspect the Boiler independently. BTW, His Analyser was way out of calibration too.

I wonder how many Certificates he falsely signed off risking the owner's home insurance, Just a thought?

Last edited:
2> Is it true that the flue pipes can no longer be sourced? I am very surprised
HSP are showing flue components as available.

Baxi offer a fixed price repair service, normally £350 or so:

which I suggest you use if whoever normally services your boiler isn't confident about fixing the problem.

I don’t believe baxi will do the flue pipes under the fixed price

But his diagnosis doesn’t make sense so I would definitely get a second opinion

Not everyone is out to rip you off.
A flue integrity test could have highlighted the internals are leaking.

Not everyone is out to rip you off.
A flue integrity test could have highlighted the internals are leaking.
This forum is a goldmine of information and help, and that itself proves your point so I certainly don't believe they are all out to get me but unfortunately the timing couldn't be worse which means the pressure is on me to pay whatever is asked just to get rid of the problem. So far it cost £90 and that is before getting that second opinion.

HSP are showing flue components as available.

Baxi offer a fixed price repair service, normally £350 or so:

which I suggest you use if whoever normally services your boiler isn't confident about fixing the problem.

Thanks, That was really helpful and more or less is what I suspected. I will phone Baxi to find out more... Cheers.

Last edited:
I don’t believe baxi will do the flue pipes under the fixed price

But his diagnosis doesn’t make sense so I would definitely get a second opinion

Thanks, I agree, I don't think so either but I have just looked at HSP's helpful link (Thanks again) and the boiler diagrams so I am wondering if there is such a thing as a gasket seal that might have perished or leaking? Just like a car engine when air leaks into or from the system? I will phone Baxi tomorrow morning and enquire about that fixed price..

Cheers.

Common issue on these is for the flue to split so no it’s just not a seal but that wouldn’t effect it lighting for the first time

Common issue on these is for the flue to split so no it’s just not a seal but that wouldn’t effect it lighting for the first time

That's interesting? The plot thickens ... It has been working reliably until this sudden fault and diagnosis, but if I have to replace the Baxi due to being uneconomical to fix, What alternatives with a higher LPM? How about an Alpha E-Tec 38Kw ? Would that be false economy?

Also, It just occurred to me if another Baxi might be easier to fit if the feed and outlets pipes are positioned in the same place to avoid extra pipe work? Wishful thinking I guess... Cheers

I can’t comment as it might be an easy fix but without being infront of it who knows

Final Update...

Thank you everyone who replied, I now have a new Alpha E-Tec 33KW installed, I know some might not like it but since it does the job and outputs over 14 lpm with a 10 years full manufacturer warranty then I feel confident.

The Old Baxi was removed but found to be far from being condemned, The Flue Pipes were in Pristine condition inside and out, and the boiler itself was remarkably spotless and in excellent shape, even the PCB had ZERO signs of thermal or soldering defects ... Let's just say that we all concluded that I was charged £90 for the privilege of telling me that sourcing spare parts will be a real problem (NOT) plus their "Do Not Use Warning" notice stuck on it was a good incentive for me to panic into getting a new boiler, Their Ideal Logic 35KW package was for £3188. Meanwhile Baxi confirmed @Chuck words about the spares availability and also quoted £417 for an all inclusive fixed price repair, or alternatively as part a service plan for the same money, and if it is truly found condemned on the first visit then I would NOT be charged anything.

@ShaunCorbs was right to smell a rat, that was also hinted at before they removed it to fit the new Combi. In all honesty I could not rate Paul & Robbie Turner more highly, They were punctual, High Standards, Superb attention to detail, and I speak as someone who is spectrum autistic, A fuss pot, Think Victor Meldrew on a bad day.

Anyway, An Online fixed quote (Yes, 100% Genuine) for the Alpha supply and installation came to just £1885, for the same level of Efficiency, LPM output and a 10Y Warranty for about 57.5% of the 'Kent' deal once the initial £90 'Repair' paid fee was included. I have left out the details of the usual suspects in case its not allowed in this forum or flagged as advertising, but if it is ok then I will happily give more detail (even if only via PM), but it is true that I was extremely untrusting of the Online business until I used it, and now it is my default choice for replacing my other home's boiler. Paul & Robbie will now be servicing my boiler every year to keep it safe and in warranty.

Once again, Thank you

Reply to Baxi 105e Advice Please (Repair or Replace) ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock