Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi guys (and gals?),

Anyone fitted one of these or similar? :

Underfloor Heating Thermostat with Bathroom Remote Air Sensor

Reason is I need the room stat for my second heating zone to be in my bathroom (long story and not worth the digression) and can't think of any other solution. I note these stats are specified for underfloor heating, but I don't have underfloor in the bathroom.

Any experience shared would be welcome! And if anyone knows a better product for the same job, please do tell me as this one looks a bit tacky to me.

R

Last edited:
Hi i don't have any experience with the product that you have shown but i'm just thinking, if your second heating zone stat has to be in the bathroom then why not just make it an ordinary stat? the only time it might get warmer and cut out is if someone is in the shower and the bathroom becomes increasingly warm but they would have to be in there a long time and even so, when they come out they would open the door and the cool air would probably take it back down to the temperature of the hall which could mean that (with the bathroom door open) your essentially waiting for the bathroom and the hall to reach the desired temperature which would probably accommodate you, i might not have read your problem properly so excuse me if i've gotten it wrong but its just a suggestion :)

why not just make it an ordinary stat?

Because 'ordinary stats' aren't generally suitable for use bathrooms. Using a battery-powered wireless one would be electrically safe, which is one issue. The other issue, which is high humidity and condensation is also an obstacle. If the 'stat isn't designed for a bathroom it probably won't work for long.

That, Chuck, was exactly my thinking: the electrical regulations would not allow a switch or stat anywhere in a bathroom, unless fed from a SELV supply, hence the need for something I can put on the other side of the wall with a remote sensor.

They also really need to be encapsulated too otherwise the moisture content will shorten its life considerably

They also really need to be encapsulated too otherwise the moisture content will shorten its life considerably
Do you mean the bathroom type would need to be encapsulated, or is that just another reason not to use a 'normal' thermostat?

I dunno if I’m not reading this right(I’m probly not) but are you saying you need the thermostat in the bathroom to be able to to adjust temperature but need it to sense temperature not within the bathroom ?

There are many remote temp sensors. To be safe, and to make sure they dont fluctuate too violently, they are encapsulated to even out the peaks and troughs of things like drafts. Many electric uf htg systems can do air too so so long as you only need on/off they will suffice

I dunno if I’m not reading this right(I’m probly not) but are you saying you need the thermostat in the bathroom to be able to to adjust temperature but need it to sense temperature not within the bathroom ?
No, you're reading me wrong. I need is a way of switching the heating and zone valve for the upstairs on and off based on a temperature sensor sensing the temperature in the bathroom.

What I meant by 'on the other side of the wall' is that I cannot legally have a switch (or normal thermostat) in the bathroom itself, so my link above has the switch outside the bathroom with the sensor inside the bathroom.

Cheers, R

That wireless one would do, though I would prefer an analogue control and hard-wired. On the other hand, it is half the price of the link I suggested, and the programmable element would really allow the two zones to be used independently, which might save fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock