Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom plumbing advice - secondary hot circuit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

w7r

Afternoon all.

After a bit of advice/guidance.

I'm currently refurbing my 1st-floor bathroom and the ancient plumbing system in the house whilst I'm at it.

It'll have a shower, toilet, basin and a standard size bath. I'm planning a secondary circuit (in copper) for hot water (22mm in and a 15mm return) as currently, it takes around a minute to reach the bathroom in the loft and nearly as long to reach the bathroom I'm refurbing.

There is a loft bathroom directly above, currently fed (using JG) by tee-ing into existing 15mm (both hot and cold) off a mish-mash of 15 & 22 + a bit of galvanized steel which I'm going to replace - the mish-mash that is (not the PEX feeding the loft bathroom).

I'm currently on a combi with 15mm hot outlet, but this is soon to be replaced with an unvented system with a 28 or 32mm feed from the street, into 22mm - pressure into the property is 3bar, current flow rate around 14lt per min.

I'm planning on building 2 copper manifolds for hot and cold with isolators to serve the refurb bathroom and loft bathroom using 22mm copper and taking 15mm branches (in PEX) 1 for the shower, 1 toilet, 1 basin and 1 for the loft for the cold and 22mm off the manifold in PEX to the bath.

The second manifold (again in 22mm) for the hot, 1 shower, 1 basin, 1 for loft and again feed the (standard size) bath off that in 22mm PEX and return from the manifold to the cylinder in 15mm copper.

My question is: Am I wasting my time running to the bath in 22, would 15mm PEX off the manifolds be sufficient? I'm not bothered about a few quid saved given what it's costing I just don't want to waste the pipe/money/effort if I'm not going to fill the bath any quicker!

Also, am I wasting effort with the secondary hot water given that I will be reducing the length of pipe runs significantly? They'll probably be around 7 metres to the refurbed bathroom and around 12 to the loft bathroom. Hope that makes sense!

Shout if you've any questions.

cheers, Chris

22mm if your planning on doing a return loop else it’s 15mm to save wastage of water

secondary return loop is a good idea but needs to be done correctly eg timer or pir

Reply to Bathroom plumbing advice - secondary hot circuit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock