From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Bathroom panel installation over a half tiled wall in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

U

Undermanager

Hi all

I'm not a plumber and am hoping over the next month to be able to get some good advice on here.

I am in the process of planning the detailed conversion of my small 2m x 2m bathroom into a shower room. It's currently half tiled all around the walls. All the tiles are solidly on the wall, and the painted walls are in excellent condition. The tiles sit proud of the wall by around 7mm. I'm planning to put on wall panels on the walls. I haven't got them yet, but they come in various thicknesses, from 5mm upwards.

Not having used panels before, I'm wondering how forgiving they might be if they were put straight over a half tiled wall, with the tiles sticking out by 7mm. Or, as I suspect, do I just need to bite the bullet and get the tiles off the wall, as I suspect?

Any thoughts on this from people who've used panels over half tiled walls, please?

Thanks

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
If by panels you mean mermaid/grant Westfield/respatex etc then an option is to screw 6mm ply to the non-tiled wall. This will get it close enough that the discrepancy will be overcome by the adhesive.
If you mean the flimsy extruded plastic panels, I’m afraid I have no experience of these.

OP
U

Undermanager

Thanks. Yes. I think the tiles will be coming off. :)

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
In that case you should test to see wether or not the paint needs scraping off. No use sticking your panels to a painted wall only to find that the paint comes away from the plaster, along with your panel.

Reply to Bathroom panel installation over a half tiled wall in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads