Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom in new loft conversion suggestions? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

we are about to have a loft conversion with a bathroom large enough for a freestanding bath, shower enclosure, toilet and wall hung vanity unit.so will be a blank canvas .

just wanted to get a plumbers perspective of what are easy installation and for future repairs .
ie shower enclosure and trays, shower taps, baths and taps.
I’ve got a saved basket of the kind of things I’m looking at.
Checkout Step 1 of 3 | Victorian Plumbing - https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/checkoutstep1?basketrefno=1B3SZ

main concern is over the floor standing tap and bath and the shower tray. ie ease with install and any issues that could arise later on.

really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

paul

Get a shower tray with upstands eg

Get them to tank the shower area

If you need to raise it up use 3x2 or 4x2 depending on height you need and use a ply top eg base

And then use pvc cloaking around with mirror screws

Tap comes with a clicker waste also £30 cheaper on Amazon ;)

get the builders the ply the wall where you want the basin going not osb ply

Don’t need the trap go with a mcalpine e10

Are you sure you want that kinda of bath ?

Free standing taps get the builders to install a 6x2 below where you want the tap below the flooring

Bin the toilet fixing pack and pick your self up a mcalpine con 2 and RAWLPLUG 67-488

Where the edge of the tray is get the builder to install 4x2 long way front in the wall for the shower screen

Shower is ok cheaper on Amazon £40

There’s no real good way of fixing them and there not good on a practical usage they look nice if you really like it go for it 👍

Tap is fine just needs blocking in for support below the floor as there’s a lot of leverage at the top

Ok thanks, really just wanting something that won’t be hassle for everyone. Think the wife wants a free standing but quite happy to convince her about a more traditional bath type.

Your the ones living with it so the choice is yours

I’d have the main supply coming up to the loft somewhere accessible (perhaps under basin, in the unit) and have separate feeds to each outlet with isolation valves.

I’d raise the shower tray and have a removable tile/access to get to the waste/trap for future maintenance. With this in mind, I’d orient the tray so the waste is at one of the front corners for access. If it’s at the back corner, you’ll never get to it.

Shaun has covered everything else. Wish I’d read his post before spending the time looking through your product list 😂

Finally, don’t let the builders use green plasterboard in the shower enclosure. Use Wedi board installed and tanked correctly.

Finally, don’t let the builders use green plasterboard in the shower enclosure. Use Wedi board installed and tanked correctly.
Great thanks so more good tips. Yeah definitely going with Wendi board, or actually wanted to go with cement board as I’ve used that in the past. Our last bathroom I had to buy a tanking kit for our shower and even then the plumber said it’s not worth it as movement creates cracks so they fail. I insisted he tanked the shower.

Also what’s your take on free standing baths and taps. Are they just a expensive looking pain in the arse or have some benefits.

Thanks again

It is absolutely fine to use plasterboard if it is tanked.
How much movement are we talking about? Tanking membrane stretches a lot!!!!!
As usual, it’s more about the quality of the workmanship than the materials used...

Reply to Bathroom in new loft conversion suggestions? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock