Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom floor drain - but not a wet room in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

So...
Completely redoing bathroom, back to brick etc. Mrs insists on hand shower for bath vs I hate them just dangling in bath. So I plan on having it mounted just outside of the bath i.e. not normally in it, but accessible when you need.

Question I have is, do I need some kind of floor drain for the little bit that might drip out (i.e. effectively a wet room floor drain) or is it likely to be so small I can save myself the hassle and just crack on as normal?

If you use the hose retaining ring as per the water regulations, then it wouldn’t dangle in the bath, therefore eliminating the need for any additional drain. If the hose is an extra length one, then water regulations still apply, but would need other form of backflow prevention.

If you use the hose retaining ring as per the water regulations, then it wouldn’t dangle in the bath, therefore eliminating the need for any additional drain. If the hose is an extra length one, then water regulations still apply, but would need other form of backflow prevention.

I think he means incase anyone turns the hose on / drips when on the holder as it’s outside the bath eg drip on the floor

I think he means incase anyone turns the hose on / drips when on the holder as it’s outside the bath eg drip on the floor
Yeah, I get that mate, but he said he hates them dangling in the bath. The other thing is, when in the shower, it would need to be in the bath anyway, unless holding it by hand, hence hand shower?

IMO, the answer is to the OP's question is 'yes' a drain would be needed because (a) cartridges develop leaks, (b) people don't always fully close valves, and (c) one-day a guest is going to assume it's a wet room...

I'm fairly sure that there's a regulation (water or building) that requires a drain but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Yes this is it, we have separate shower ie sole purpose of this hand shower is for 2 mins to rinse Mrs hair whilst having bath ie she would be holding it whole time.

I know there would be a need for a check valve on the copper but couldn't find anywhere about "needing" a drain although good points made above.

Going down the route of having a floor drain, would it be a case of a standard wet room shower trap feeding a 92.5 tee into the existing bath 40mm or would it require something else (check valves etc)?

If it’s for a quick rinse ad cleaning bath etc.
Have a look at a retractable rim mounted pull out hose, this gets over your problem.
The one I am familiar with is an ‘sbox’ by Hansgrohe- there is a plastic box underneath which would catch any drips that went down the hole the hose comes out of but in reality under normal use very little does. This box can be removed from above for emptying/cleaning.
It is ‘thoroughly engineered’ with a large brass counterweight/pulley to ensure smooth pull out/ retraction. They are very good.

If it’s for a quick rinse ad cleaning bath etc.
Have a look at a retractable rim mounted pull out hose, this gets over your problem.
The one I am familiar with is an ‘sbox’ by Hansgrohe- there is a plastic box underneath which would catch any drips that went down the hole the hose comes out of but in reality under normal use very little does. This box can be removed from above for emptying/cleaning.
It is ‘thoroughly engineered’ with a large brass counterweight/pulley to ensure smooth pull out/ retraction. They are very good.
That actually looks a very good (and expensive) bit of kit and certainly would tidy things up. Only thing is from watching the install video and reading assembly instructions, it looks to be designed for built in baths. I've got a back to wall freestanding and for life of me couldn't work out how I'd connect it up (other than cut a hole in the side of the tub)

Would be possible in one of the corners, obviously need to plumb in using flexis. If the sbox doesn’t fit, Vado do a pull out hose with just a small circular cover plate which would definitely fit. However I don’t anything about this one- although I am fitting one on a job at the beginning of July so could tell you then!!

The Vado gear looks lovely, their shower mixers are beautiful. I think from a cost perspective, sticking in a floor drain a la wetroom i.e. tank the area etc will be the cheapest way forward.

I assume these drains have some kind of trap built in to stop drain smells coming back up or do they need something between it and the waste pipe?

Additionally, as I am tapping into the waste for the bath, would I need to stick in some kind of check valve given bath water higher than floor? (suspect the 92.5 bend offers a large degree of protection but not perfect)

Don’t do what you are thinking of.
No offence you are out of your depth, pay a plumber to do this bit for you, do the rest yourself.

Don’t do what you are thinking of.
No offence you are out of your depth, pay a plumber to do this bit for you, do the rest yourself.
Not sure where that's come from.
Done several bathrooms over the years just never done a floor drain (ie always done one into a fixed shower tray/bath etc). Have run all the waste routes (50mm to shower, 40mm to bath and 32mm to basin terminating in 3 boss ie separate connections to the soil). All I'm looking to get my head around is when tapping into the 40mm bath waste what's best method to avoid gurgling/back flow/smells etc.

Reply to Bathroom floor drain - but not a wet room in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock