• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Bathroom Basin fitting in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Ian Auckland

Reaction score
Hello,
Is it a must to fix the pedastal to the sink and the skin to the wall?
I didnt really want to screw into my tiles, but knowing silicone is a good adhesive is it sufficient?

Should the Sink be level front to back all, or should it have a tilt backwards to allow the skin to empty fully?

Thanks

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Silicone will do the job, BUT if you have to change the waste in the future it will be a pain in the arris to remove without damaging tiles. It also changes an hour’s job into 1/2day plus.

Personally I would screw it into position and run a small bead of silicone along the top of the basin.

A thin bead between basin/ped if necessary.

Level the basin side to side, front to back is often dictated by the moulding etc, but don’t lean it back as then water can sit on the tap shelf.
The basin will drain anyway, unless it is an awful design - which some of these resin ones with flat bottoms are.

OP
I

Ian Auckland

Reaction score
Silicone will do the job, BUT if you have to change the waste in the future it will be a pain in the arris to remove without damaging tiles. It also changes an hour’s job into 1/2day plus.

Personally I would screw it into position and run a small bead of silicone along the top of the basin.

A thin bead between basin/ped if necessary.

Level the basin side to side, front to back is often dictated by the moulding etc, but don’t lean it back as then water can sit on the tap shelf.
The basin will drain anyway, unless it is an awful design - which some of these resin ones with flat bottoms are.
The sink is a square design and not bowl shaped. The only think I am worried about is the pipes are boxed in behind the ped not allowing the sink to sit close enough to the wall, with out tilting it back slightly, there is over an inch gap from tiles to back of sink, how would you get round this?

snowhead

Plumber
Reaction score
I'd say cut the box to get the pedestal to the wall, but you're going to say it's tiled?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom