Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom and En suite Basins Backing Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help and advice with the following issue.

The basins in both my bathroom and en suite have started to back up. I have very little knowledge of plumbing but I presume as they the basin are back- to-back they will both be connected onto the same pipework.

The property is 3.5 years old and we haven’t noticed any issues previously. The bath and toilets are draining fine.

I have tried some drain unblocking stuff and initially it seemed to resolve the issue but it quickly returned. At times it also sounds like there is air trapped somewhere sometimes bubbles from soap back up through the overflow.

I have noticed that the traps on both basins look to point upwards slightly, is this likely to be contributing to the problem? I have attached a picture.

Is there anything further I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A8EE5791-659F-442B-9268-87C18C1DB02B.jpeg
    A8EE5791-659F-442B-9268-87C18C1DB02B.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 13
Looks like the trap is adjustable for height aligment and has slipped down. Is there a nut or gripping collar you can slacken off and retighten once the pipe is correctly aligned? Place an old towel on floor to catch any drips.

First try covering the overflows with a wet cloth then plunging the basin. Most people just plunge with the overflow open and it doesn't really work.

Those chrome traps are telescopic so may adjust up to reduce the back flow. However the chrome vertical piece connecting to the basin waste may need to be cut with a hacksaw.

First try covering the overflows with a wet cloth then plunging the basin. Most people just plunge with the overflow open and it doesn't really work.

Those chrome traps are telescopic so may adjust up to reduce the back flow. However the chrome vertical piece connecting to the basin waste may need to be cut with a hacksaw.
Plunging may remove the problem but waste of time with pipe having an incline such as that.

And to AOIS, No more chemicals if you want to keep your good looks! ;)

I would plunge first to remove possible blockage, then remove the trap clean it out, then refit without the incline to prevent it happening again. Probably plunge again one last time before I left :p

Hi all,

The basins in both my bathroom and en suite have started to back up. I have very little knowledge of plumbing but I presume as they the basin are back- to-back they will both be connected onto the same pipework.

The property is 3.5 years old and we haven’t noticed any issues previously. The bath and toilets are draining fine.

I have tried some drain unblocking stuff and initially it seemed to resolve the issue but it quickly returned. At times it also sounds like there is air trapped somewhere sometimes bubbles from soap back up through the overflow.

I have noticed that the traps on both basins look to point upwards slightly, is this likely to be contributing to the problem? I have attached a picture.

Thanks in advance.
This certainly would cause a problem.Can you adjust the trap height?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I ,ve since looked again at your pics.you can adjust the height of the trap easily

Reply to Bathroom and En suite Basins Backing Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock