Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom and En suite Basins Backing Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help and advice with the following issue.

The basins in both my bathroom and en suite have started to back up. I have very little knowledge of plumbing but I presume as they the basin are back- to-back they will both be connected onto the same pipework.

The property is 3.5 years old and we haven’t noticed any issues previously. The bath and toilets are draining fine.

I have tried some drain unblocking stuff and initially it seemed to resolve the issue but it quickly returned. At times it also sounds like there is air trapped somewhere sometimes bubbles from soap back up through the overflow.

I have noticed that the traps on both basins look to point upwards slightly, is this likely to be contributing to the problem? I have attached a picture.

Is there anything further I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A8EE5791-659F-442B-9268-87C18C1DB02B.jpeg
    A8EE5791-659F-442B-9268-87C18C1DB02B.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 12
Looks like the trap is adjustable for height aligment and has slipped down. Is there a nut or gripping collar you can slacken off and retighten once the pipe is correctly aligned? Place an old towel on floor to catch any drips.

First try covering the overflows with a wet cloth then plunging the basin. Most people just plunge with the overflow open and it doesn't really work.

Those chrome traps are telescopic so may adjust up to reduce the back flow. However the chrome vertical piece connecting to the basin waste may need to be cut with a hacksaw.

First try covering the overflows with a wet cloth then plunging the basin. Most people just plunge with the overflow open and it doesn't really work.

Those chrome traps are telescopic so may adjust up to reduce the back flow. However the chrome vertical piece connecting to the basin waste may need to be cut with a hacksaw.
Plunging may remove the problem but waste of time with pipe having an incline such as that.

And to AOIS, No more chemicals if you want to keep your good looks! ;)

I would plunge first to remove possible blockage, then remove the trap clean it out, then refit without the incline to prevent it happening again. Probably plunge again one last time before I left :p

Hi all,

The basins in both my bathroom and en suite have started to back up. I have very little knowledge of plumbing but I presume as they the basin are back- to-back they will both be connected onto the same pipework.

The property is 3.5 years old and we haven’t noticed any issues previously. The bath and toilets are draining fine.

I have tried some drain unblocking stuff and initially it seemed to resolve the issue but it quickly returned. At times it also sounds like there is air trapped somewhere sometimes bubbles from soap back up through the overflow.

I have noticed that the traps on both basins look to point upwards slightly, is this likely to be contributing to the problem? I have attached a picture.

Thanks in advance.
This certainly would cause a problem.Can you adjust the trap height?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I ,ve since looked again at your pics.you can adjust the height of the trap easily

Reply to Bathroom and En suite Basins Backing Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, I recently brought a replacement Pop Up Waste from Argent K316-DL & the spec states it suits both overflow & non-overflow basins. However it has no slotted waste opening. How could this be used with sinks with an overflow hole & still prevent sink overflow? Thanks Natalie Argent...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom, initially thought it was the toilet, but after smelling the bath tub plug hole it appears to be coming from here. I removed the P trap and very little...
Replies
Views
The en-suite sink waste pipe gets clogged up every few years with gunk (tootpaste, soap, etc). This was installed by a professional plumber and he is long gone. I took apart the U bend, but it was clean. I then smashed a very large tile and found the pipe behind was nearly horizontal going into...
Replies
Views
Hi People, So, I'm looking to fit a new Monarch Midi HE water softener, upstairs bathroom suite, downstairs WC suite and probably replace the existing Telford 900x450 indirect grade 3 water cylinder, like for like. I'm doing this for my girlfriend, who has recently had a new Worcester Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock