Search the forum,

Discuss Bath waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Bath waste was slow-draining, and turned out to have about 6" of matted hair hanging onto the grille.

It is a Clearwater, non-slotted.

but different from the diagram in having a thick (10mm?) rubber washer.

Normally, I would have called a plumber, but being ancient, and with the risk of Covid, I decided to deal with it myself.
From reading various things posted online I assumed that the pop-up could be removed, probably by turning anti-clockwise. I did that, and the whole thing came undone, so the bath became unusable.

It is a free-standing bath that goes right down to the floor - an added complication. However, I was able to re-fit the waste.
Problem is, it's leaking. Could I have tightened it too much, or too little? Would Fernox LS-X solve the problem? Is there anything else that might?

I am tempted to replace it with something like Easy-Clean Bath Waste to avoid future problems. Does anybody have any comments about these? I might have the same problem fitting it, of course

1. It is not clear what you have unscrewed. Is it:
1a. The click clack (not pop up) mechanism. OR
1b. The whole waste fitting. OR
1c. Both
2. If it is the click clack only, there is no reason why it should leak, unless not screwed fully home or faulty.
3. If its the whole waste fitting, then where is it leaking from?
3a. Where it goes through the bath. Maybe the (normally thin) washer which goes between the flange of the waste fitting and the upper side of the bath is damaged / worn. Replace with a thin rolled out "sausage" of Plumber's Mait formed into a circle and squashed between flange and bath. Remove excess with a soft scraper and final traces with white spirit.
3b. Where the waste pipe joins the end of the waste fitting. If so, then check the rubber washer between the end of the trap and the flange on the pipe is present and undamaged. Replace if necessary.

1. It is not clear what you have unscrewed. Is it:
1a. The click clack (not pop up) mechanism. OR
1b. The whole waste fitting. OR
1c. Both
2. If it is the click clack only, there is no reason why it should leak, unless not screwed fully home or faulty.
3. If its the whole waste fitting, then where is it leaking from?
3a. Where it goes through the bath. Maybe the (normally thin) washer which goes between the flange of the waste fitting and the upper side of the bath is damaged / worn. Replace with a thin rolled out "sausage" of Plumber's Mait formed into a circle and squashed between flange and bath. Remove excess with a soft scraper and final traces with white spirit.
3b. Where the waste pipe joins the end of the waste fitting. If so, then check the rubber washer between the end of the trap and the flange on the pipe is present and undamaged. Replace if necessary.

Very grateful for your reply.

You are right, it is a click-clack (I thought that pop-up was an alternative term for the same thing).

I tried to unscrew the click-clack (anti-clockwise, of course), to see where the blockage was. It did not unscrew (perhaps it is not designed to), but instead the whole unit unscrewed, so that there was no seal between the bath and the waste unit. A bit more unscrewing and the entire top part of the waste that rests on the inside of the bath came away.

There was a thin washer between the click-clack mechanism and the flange, but I don't recall seeing a washer between the flange and the bath, although cannot be sure.

On the other side of the bath was a black washer, perhaps 10mm thick, which went between the plastic bottom part (into which the top part screwed) and the top part. The water was coming from the side of the washer touching the underside of the bath.

Reply to Bath waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock