Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Taps - Shower diverter (lever) leak repair? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there! our Heritage bath taps (see attached image) have a leak from the shower lever when diverted to the shower head.

Unfortunately this model is over 15 years old and spare parts are no longer available. As a very amateur DIY-er I am not familiar with the inner workings of these sort of taps and haven't taken it apart yet to take a look. Am I correct in assuming that that there will be a brass & ceramic valve cartridge operated by the lever (just like on other taps)?

If so any suggestions where I might be able to source a replacement cartridge? If I can't source a cartridge / valve, is it worth trying to clean up the old one / may be replacing a washer to see if I'll get a bit more use out of the taps? How do I remove the lever - simply by unscrewing the nut on top of the lever?

Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated. Don't want to fork out £100's on new taps if this can be repaired. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 14
1. More likely to be some sort of proprietary diverter valve.
2. Are you sure it is coming from the lever? The nut above the lever appears to have lime-scale around it where the threads end, and the vertical pipe above it looks slightly off plumb.
3. Turn the taps off, undo that nut and see if there is a rubber washer in there. If so, replace it. Probably a 1/2" shower rubber washer.
4. If it is coming from the lever, you may find a nut under the diverter valve which can be slackened to undo it, or there may be a grub screw behind it. In fact your photograph appears to show a hexagonal chrome nut on top, but this could be a reflection in the chrome. In my experience however it is quite rare to be able to fix these without manufacturer's spare parts.

1. More likely to be some sort of proprietary diverter valve.
2. Are you sure it is coming from the lever? The nut above the lever appears to have lime-scale around it where the threads end, and the vertical pipe above it looks slightly off plumb.
3. Turn the taps off, undo that nut and see if there is a rubber washer in there. If so, replace it. Probably a 1/2" shower rubber washer.
4. If it is coming from the lever, you may find a nut under the diverter valve which can be slackened to undo it, or there may be a grub screw behind it. In fact your photograph appears to show a hexagonal chrome nut on top, but this could be a reflection in the chrome. In my experience however it is quite rare to be able to fix these without manufacturer's spare parts.
Thanks for the feedback. The leak is from inside coming from the base of the lever - so most likely the diverter value. I'll have a go at taking the steps you suggest, but I guess it's looking like new taps as replacement parts not available, I suppose 15 - 20 years of constant use isn't so bad a lifespan.

You may find some orings that you can replace or at least grease up with silicone grease.

But as you say they have done quite well really.

Reply to Bath Taps - Shower diverter (lever) leak repair? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a leak on my kitchen tap it is coming out off the bottom of the cold lever. How do I get the lever off? Also would this tap have a cartridge in the cold & hot or will it be just tap has had it & I need to get a new one?
Replies
Views
This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure. I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter...
Replies
Views
I have a traditional style bath tap with shower attachment via a diverter. The lever no longer moves, and so I managed to unscrew the lever arm and the brass (colonial) piece, exposing the plastic diverter valve. Unfortunately, I am stumped as to how to get access to the diverter valve, as the...
Replies
Views
How do i replace the quarter turn cartridge on this cooke & lewis ricci bath mixer tap . Normally there is a grub screw somewhere to take the handle off, but for the life of me i cannot find one on this mixer. Any helpful suggestions would be greatfully received.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock