Search the forum,

Discuss Bath tap problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

So the letting agent phoned me and there is a problem with a leaking bath tap. Got quoted £150 to replace both taps (taps beyond repair).

Super easy access. Got some new taps and bits and pieces.

So I try to remove the these nuts. They are literally impossible to undo. What I though was an easy job is turning out to be a right pain.

The bath and taps are ancient! Looks like some sort of bond has been used, lead washer underneath the tap?

I'm struggling hear.

To be honest the bath isn't in great condition. If it were an easy job to do the taps now I would be just happy with that.

Considering doing it all in one go or paying someone. Not sure how much a cheap bath would cost to buy and fit?

Thoughts?

PXL_20211015_132039299.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211015_132111454.jpg

I’m guessing that’s why plumbers have the necessary tools and knowledge to tackle such a job. It looks a little like paint and putty, not impossible, but takes some doing to remove.

:D the £150 isn’t looking too bad now is it

Lead washer

1. Can't be sure, but from your photographs looks like a square hole in the bath.
2. If so, you may find it very difficult or impossible to get your new taps to sit in the centre of the square and seal to prevent water going underneath.
3. If access really is good, try cutting through the nuts. Hacksaw blade parallel with the threads of the tap shank, then turned in slightly. Cut up as far as possible then split the nut with a hammer and cold chisel.

Looks like a cast iron bath with square holes- putty will now be rock hard and as steady on says in this situation you often have to cut the taps out.

Now then, I think your subconscious must be suppressing the memory of that time the tap end was chased into the wall and the cast iron came down vertically and there was an ancient basin/pedestal in the way and you had to cut through the taps from above.
Either that or you’re a youngster , it will happen one day if you do enough of this stuff!

Now then, I think your subconscious must be suppressing the memory of that time the tap end was chased into the wall and the cast iron came down vertically and there was an ancient basin/pedestal in the way and you had to cut through the taps from above.
Either that or you’re a youngster , it will happen one day if you do enough of this stuff!

😂 I have in the past spent an hour cutting out a kitchen tap from above. Pain in the bum!

Reply to Bath tap problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock