Search the forum,

Discuss Bath tap jumper (newbie) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steveb_online

I have some (very) old brass taps which I am refurbishing (I am a householder, not a plumber). The taps leaked and when stripped down I found that the jumper stem is undersized for the tap body. The hole in the tap body (to accept the jumper) is about 9/32". Could someone please propose a supplier (I have tried on-line but had no success). The jumper should take a 1" washer (actually the seats are raised brass affairs which are designed (I think) to take a washer which is cupped to lay over the raised seat. Again, I have not found a supplier. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Sounds like someone has got to them and modified before you got to them
probably the jumpers have been replaced as old broken,the washers ,would have thought should not be cupped this is just what has been fitted
You could try a scrap yard and see if you can find the correct or simliar jumpers,as you probably will not be able to purcase now,other than that you or a friendly plumber is going to have to make something up,maybe also you could keep the jumpers you have and see if you can get a plastic seating to fit into the existing seats
is it possible to post a picture

Puddle, thank you. I think you're right about not being able to buy the correct OD jumpers. I may get a machine shop to run up some sleeves for me to take them up to the correct diameter.

Another issue that arose yesterday is that I tried to grind the seats using a standard seat refurbishing tool. The tool came with four bushes for 1/2" and 3/4" taps, however, none of them fit the tap. The largest bush is probably 1-2mm too large diameter (although the pitch of the threads seems to be about right). Is there an (old) standard thread that anyone can recognise, please? It's hard to reseat accurately without the bush properly square in the tap body. Thanks. What reseating I could do suggests that the seats are now flat.

Sorry the photos aren't too good.

Attachments

• DSCF7465-cropped.jpg
    DSCF7465-cropped.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF7466-cropped.jpg
    DSCF7466-cropped.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18
you could probaly reseat with grinding paste on a make shift grinding stick
thiken jumperstems with some solder and turn down in an electric drill using emery tape to get a fit ?
epoxy resin a stainless washer on to the jumper to take a larger washer ?
cut the taps out and replace with retro ones ?

Puddle, these are tank fed. Quite low pressure, but still proving tough to seal. I bought a rubber seat and jumper combo today and that is a slight improvement but still not 100%. I'll pursue the oversized jumpers.

Steve, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and get a tube of the right ID and OD to use as a sleeve. No way I'm going to use a retro tap. I like the pucka stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath tap jumper (newbie) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock