Discuss Bath/shower screen problem in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have just fitted a 180 degree pivot bath screen and it will not stay on the bath edge and always swings into the bath. I have checked with a spirit level and it appears to be completely straight, so was wondering if anyone has any solutions to stop this happening? Would a better (thicker) rubber seal on the bottom help? I have attached a jpeg of the screen.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind regards, Kev.

Attachments

Test4Less - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
B

Burger

Hi, I have just fitted a 180 degree pivot bath screen and it will not stay on the bath edge and always swings into the bath. I have checked with a spirit level and it appears to be completely straight, so was wondering if anyone has any solutions to stop this happening? Would a better (thicker) rubber seal on the bottom help? I have attached a jpeg of the screen.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind regards, Kev.
A pic of the one fitted to the bath might be better? Is the bath level?

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
If it swings in by itself it is extremely likely that the wall profile is not plumb.
But yes, a longer seal at the bottom will stop this - sometimes you can just tap the existing seal down a bit if it’s close.

OP
E
Reaction score
A pic of the one fitted to the bath might be better? Is the bath level?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the bath is level.

Kind regards Kev.
Post automatically merged:

If it swings in by itself it is extremely likely that the wall profile is not plumb.
But yes, a longer seal at the bottom will stop this - sometimes you can just tap the existing seal down a bit if it’s close.
Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I will try moving the seal down a bit. Much appreciated.

Regards Kev.

townfanjon

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Assuming you haven’t set the screen to high it sounds like it maybe the wrong seal

SimonG

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you've installed incorrectly. First port of call would be the instructions.

Bath probably level but wall may be out, which is why they give you adjustment.

I use a little block a touch smaller than the trim to prop up the end of the screen whilst I secure it into the wall channel.

OP
E
Reaction score
Sounds like you've installed incorrectly. First port of call would be the instructions.

Bath probably level but wall may be out, which is why they give you adjustment.

I use a little block a touch smaller than the trim to prop up the end of the screen whilst I secure it into the wall channel.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this bath screen doesn’t have any adjustment screw on it. The screen just sits on the bath and pushes into the aluminium profile. When I screwed the screen in, I bought it out at the top about 5mm to compensate for the wall not being square. When I put a level on the end of the screen, it’s completely square. Maybe the easiest thing to do is adjust the bath up a bit more and see if that helps.

Regards Kev.

SimonG

Plumber
Reaction score
The adjustment is the location of the screen within the wall channel.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
As a spirit level is often inaccurate, especially the “plumb” bubble, it is often best to fit the screen so the bottom of the glass is parallel to the top of the bath (ie equal gap all along).
But yes, try tweaking the bath up if you wish.

OP
E
Reaction score
As a spirit level is often inaccurate, especially the “plumb” bubble, it is often best to fit the screen so the bottom of the glass is parallel to the top of the bath (ie equal gap all along).
But yes, try tweaking the bath up if you wish.
Thanks Ben Gee, I will try tweaking the bath a little.

Kind regards Kev.

The adjustment is the location of the screen within the wall channel.
Thanks SimonG. That’s how I got it level, by having the top of the screen out slightly when I screwed it in place to compensate for the wall. I will try tweaking the bath up a touch.

Kind regards Kev.

Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom