Search the forum,

Discuss Bath shower mixer...increase back pressure to keep diverter up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a gravity fed system and have recently fitted a bath shower mixer tap designed to work at low pressure (0.2 bar). Granted the diverter knob will stay up most of the time but it’s bit hitty missy. Am I right in thinking that if I get a smaller bore hose it will provide more back pressure and keep the knob up? I have seen various diameter hoses but confused as to whether I need a smaller or larger bore hose. I’ve also seen shower heads designed for low pressure systems. Has anyone any ideas?

It's not back pressure that keeps it up but the pressure in the supply. By reducing the bore all you will do is reduce the flow.

I'm afraid no spring operated diverter is suitable for your (I'm guessing) low pressure system.

FYI there is NO consensus on what 'low pressure' means. This has been a bone of contention in the UK plumbing industry for decades. Manufacturers 'sell' something as low pressure simply because they want to move product. As it nearly all originates from across the globe where they universally use mains pressure for everything (so 3-5 bar) low pressure is strictly something like 0.5bar. Unfortunately the UK's low pressure is more like 0.1bar. Hence them not working as advertised.

It's not back pressure that keeps it up but the pressure in the supply. By reducing the bore all you will do is reduce the flow.

I'm afraid no spring operated diverter is suitable for your (I'm guessing) low pressure system.

FYI there is NO consensus on what 'low pressure' means. This has been a bone of contention in the UK plumbing industry for decades. Manufacturers 'sell' something as low pressure simply because they want to move product. As it nearly all originates from across the globe where they universally use mains pressure for everything (so 3-5 bar) low pressure is strictly something like 0.5bar. Unfortunately the UK's low pressure is more like 0.1bar. Hence them not working as advertised.

OK cheers. If it’s all based on the pressure in the supply how come the diverter doesn’t stay up when the hose is disconnected altogether? When I take the hose off and try it the knob just gets pulled straight back down.

It uses the flow to keep it open. Flow is a consequence of pressure & bore. Your pressure simply isn't high enough and you cannot increase it unless to add a pump to the system.

If it’s one where you pull up the knob and a spring pushes it back down; I have overcome this problem in the past by cutting part of the spring away.
Do this little by little until it works, as you can’t add it back on again.

If it’s one where you pull up the knob and a spring pushes it back down; I have overcome this problem in the past by cutting part of the spring away.
Do this little by little until it works, as you can’t add it back on again.

Part of the reason for a minimum spring pressure Ben is to guard against cross contamination. Personally I'd not recommend that course of action on an open forum. ;)

Reply to Bath shower mixer...increase back pressure to keep diverter up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a traditional style bath tap with shower attachment via a diverter. The lever no longer moves, and so I managed to unscrew the lever arm and the brass (colonial) piece, exposing the plastic diverter valve. Unfortunately, I am stumped as to how to get access to the diverter valve, as the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock