Search the forum,

Discuss bath mixer stuck bonnet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

One of the cassettes/valves in my bath mixer tap has gone, so I'm trying to get it out. I can remove the handle but am unable to unscrew the bonnet (see photo). I'm using grips but it's not made any easier by it being a sloping surface. I've tried spraying WD-40 and descaler around the base and inside, and also a strap wrench. Also given it a bit of a bang with a hammer, but nothing seems to work. Grateful for any suggestions. I've seen someone suggesting pouring boilling water over it, but will that damage the sealant around the bath? I really don't want to get into having to get someone to take the bath out (that's if I can find someone willing to do it).
Thanks

Attachments

• bath-mixer.jpg
    bath-mixer.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 12
Just normal grips, with the rubber from the strap wrench underneath to stop them damaging the chrome, although I there is already damage. I'm thinking that if I can't unscrew it, and if I can get a spare, then would the next thing be to get it off with a hacksaw or something?

If you can get a spare, then I’d try losing the rubber underneath, and apply a bit more pressure with the grips. Just a daft question, you are undoing the correct way? (Anti-clockwise).

Reply to bath mixer stuck bonnet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying replace a basin waste and I cannot get the chrome ring attaching it to the trap undone. It's not a nut so using a wrench with rag is just slipping. I've tried release spray but still no movement. Any suggestions? Cheers, Andy
Replies
Views
Hi all, trying to replace a Victorian mixer tap head for bath as old one getting stiff. I've got cap off and taken screw out however can't remove handle (not budging at all!). Any advice?
Replies
Views
Firstly, I already have a fair idea of what I need to do to fix the problem (I hope plunging will fix it, I just need to buy one), I would just like to know what sort of thing can suddenly obstruct the pipe that my bath drains to. The problem... Normally someone can have a bath and then pull...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm at a loss and need your help. I have the attached mixer. Water is leaking from the seal (yellow arrow) I figured this is a washer replacement. I've opened the screw cap (blue arrow) The screw inside is completely rusted and the head on it damaged. The screw also turns with the handle...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock