Search the forum,

Discuss Bath hole oversize for bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gadabout

Hi, new on here – and, yes, you guessed, I have a problem: Hole in bath is about 8 mm larger than waste (largest obtainable) that drops into it - i.e. a 4 mm gap all round. So I will not only have the usual sealing difficulties but also have to contend with side-to-side movement. Can anyone advise way/s of dealing with this please.

The original fitting had a conical underside which centred the fitting in the hold – tightening the nut underneath drew the fitting down into the bath hold keeping everything in position. Bath is old, cast iron, and in good nick so reluctant to dump and start again.

What is the actual hole size in the bath,presume you are trying 1 1/2 bath waste,if bigger than that ,what about a strainer waste,usually used on kitchen sinks.I know some old cast iron baths are funny sizes,maybe yours was used for some kind of sluicing

Appreciate the replies, thanks - - - yes 1 1/2 inch (plug size) and about 1 7/8 inch diam. outside (unthreaded bit). Bath hole is about 2 1/8 inch. My only idea was to find something to fit between to keep waste central in the hole then put a lot of Plumbers Mate above and below so that it fills any voids when nut gets tightened!:) With a shower waste the plug becomes a problem (fit-wise)!

Don't use PLumbers Mate. Use Boss White and Hemp if you really must.

A Belfast Sink waste fitting will probably fit as it has a wide flange.

Thanks again all - I’ll look into strainer and Belfast sink wastes as alternates (the flange itself isn’t the immediate problem - - although there’d be more contact between it and bath if the bath hole were smaller !

Lucky we’ve got a separate shower - - - - :):)

You could try a 2" waste and plug (for a commercial sink).

Thanks one and all for replies and help. Seems like a 'proper job' could be a bit hit and miss, so :eek:, after discussions with my wife, 'we' have decided to renovate the bathroom :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath hole oversize for bath waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
In a bit of a bind. Spent money reconditioning a lovely old cast iron bath but really struggling to get a waste to fit nicely in the recess. The hole itself is 70mm but the total diameter including recess is 95mm. The largest belfast sink waste has a wide flange that takes it to 85mm but the...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
A
Hi all, first poster here. Here is my problem. I recently fitted a new bath and have since developed a water leak. It comes down the wall from the bathroom, and may be following the pipework. It only occurs when the taps are open, and does not occur at all times. It can be days before it starts...
Replies
Views
Zammo1001
Z
M
Hi all I have just started refitting my bathroom and will be repacing the bath and sink wastes. 1. Is it best to use solvent weld pipe and fittings all the way from the traps to the soil stack? 2. Is it best to solvent weld into the stack aswell? Many thanks..................:)
Replies
Views
kay-jay
K
S
Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice regarding a drainage problem. A bit of background: I own a ground floor flat, which I lived in between 1998 and 2004. During that time, I had no problems at all with the plumbing or the drainage. In 2004, I moved out, and began renting out the flat...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
Hi All, I wonder if you can advise me again:confused:, We have just had our Central heating boiler changed,by my now new plumbers when I asked if they could change some taps whilst they were here, they offered to do it whilst changing the boiler. Well it was a bit of a bloody awful...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock