Search the forum,

Discuss Basin mixer, high cold pressure, 0.5 bar hot (gravity HWS) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Got a customer who has called me in after an absolute nightmare with a cowboy builder and an ex-friend project managing her renovation.
I feel really sorry for her, she was actually crying when explaining what had gone on when I first went round.
Anyway, she has a basin mixer that she really would like to use, unfortunately her hot water is on gravity and her cold water could strip the skin off your hands. My first piece of advice was that 2 seperate taps are needed.
I put my hand over the spout of her kitchen tap and opened the cold up and could hardly stop the flow, didn't test the pressure but it's very 'good'.
The cowboy builder has literally ripped off for thousands of pounds so I'm going to try and get the tap to work.
It's a square handled waterfall type tap and Joyou do one that would be perfect as it is designed for use on all water systems but I can't find anywhere with one in stock.
Anyone had any success with gate valves or other forms of ISO's in getting the cold flow low enough for a blender type tap to work on such a system? Obviously I'll be fitting an NRV on the hot pipework and I know that limiting the flow won't limit the pressure, but would love to try and sort this for her as easily(and cheaply) as possible.

Cheers for that, already looked into it, it will take it down to 1.5 bar so will still be overpowering the hot :(

There are others as I have seen them used for tmvs hot gravity and cold mains

Yeah, I tried to have a look round last night and made a few calls today but not much that will take the pressure down to less than 1 bar. They exist but you don't half pay for them from the ones I saw.

Could I manage it with a gate valve? Get the cold flow down low enough to allow room for the low pressure hot to come out of the tap ?

Yeah, I tried to have a look round last night and made a few calls today but not much that will take the pressure down to less than 1 bar. They exist but you don't half pay for them from the ones I saw.

Could I manage it with a gate valve? Get the cold flow down low enough to allow room for the low pressure hot to come out of the tap ?

No

Will do lower than 1 bar

Also Google deva pev002

Did the job today, was delayed by a joiner who needed to make the bespoke cloakroom furniture first...
Started with the cheapest option of using an ISO to reduce flow on the cold with a non-return valve on the hot.
It worked a treat.
I was expecting that I'd have to go back with a reducer or pressure equalising valve, but it worked surprisingly well with just an ISO to slow the cold down.
Happy days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin mixer, high cold pressure, 0.5 bar hot (gravity HWS) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock