Search the forum,

Discuss Basic tap installation, confidence lacking :) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hiya - the mixer tap in my kitchen has been leaking and squeaking for months, and of course I've avoided fixing it while refusing to pay a professional. Now I'm hearing noises in the bath tap (which stop suddenly when I isolated the kitchen sink), so I think the time has come to actually do this.

Pic of my kitchen pipe setup attached. I'll be buying a bog standard mixer replacement (Deva Newton Mono Mixer, unless someone recommends a better brand?)

Got my pair of wrenches and my tap spanners, and tested both successfully. So I'm nearly good to go... but I'm worried about how I make the connection between the isolation valve (blue area in pic) and the end of the pipe that'll come with the new tap (presumably the same as red area in pic)?

What's the big white thing in the blue circle for? Is that a copper olive currently in place beneath it (if so I probably broke its seal when I tested the wrenches, whoops)? Do I chuck the white thing, cut off the olive (how?) and screw on my new pipe with a new olive?

Easy to understand the basics, but these things are never as simple on first attempt!

Thanks in advance for your patience! 🙏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001-182948_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-182948_Photos.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221001-182905_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-182905_Photos.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 11
Depends on the length of the flexi on the new tap you will require a new iso so you can rob the nut and olive and a male iron for the new tap flexi and some copper tube

Reply to Basic tap installation, confidence lacking :) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
I'm a council tenant and my bathroom basin is broken and needs replacing, it has standard pillar taps. Do you know if councils would ever replace it with a mixer tap one if I paid the difference? (I'm guessing no but it's worth a try). How much more complicated and time consuming is it to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm installing a new kitchen which will have a dishwasher and washing machine. As I'm cutting/teeing into the cold mains 15mm pipe (before the kitchen sink taps) to feed the dishwasher and washing machine is it worth fitting a isolation valve with a built-in check valve? Regards Tezzer
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock