Search the forum,

Discuss Basement toilet smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaintballArena

Hi

I have a basement toilet (cheap one) with overflow pipe running into a waste from sink which then goes into soil pipe.

No u bend etc on this overflow pipe as it was designed to go through wall to outside.

Question. Does anyone know if there is any kind of cuplink etc with oneway valve or someway of stopping smell from coming up this pipe into cistern. Other than blocking it up!

Thanks

p.s. i'm not a plumber.

yep you can buy a clear tundish, with a light spring inside acting as a one way valve.

dont remember scientific name tho. someone here wil tell you shortly!!

shaun

That's exactly what maintenance man here described to me, but he also didnt know the name of it.

Hi. If you have trouble finding a mechanical devise. Get your self elbows the same size as overflow pipe and form a trap in the pipe, )you may need a few clips for support it ) Form a tundish using an 32 mm to overflow pipe reducer on the upstream side of the trap. The overflow pipe placed a couple of mm's above the tundish will allow you to identify if the cistern is overflowing in the future. Your duty bound not to waste water, hence the visual apparatus. It also save waste if you are on a meter. Good Luck

yep you can buy a clear tundish, with a light spring inside acting as a one way valve.

dont remember scientific name tho. someone here wil tell you shortly!!

shaun

Can anybody tell me the name of this device?

Thanks.

Why not plug the overflow off all together and change the WC syphon to one that overflows down the pan?

But before you do that check with your insurance company sometimes they don't like it. But the way it is now breaks the REGs. Another name for an overflow pipe is a nuisance pipe and discharging down a wastepipe into a soil stack ain't being a nuisance. And beside that the smell must be awful and possibly a health risk.

Ok, not the proper way but a brilliant idea.

If the overflow pipe is bottom entry simply place a ping pong ball on the top ( in the cistern)
No more smell and a functioning overflow.

...prepares to be called a bodger , well a clever bodger...:)

I cant remember the name of it either but I know that PTS stock them.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basement toilet smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock