Search the forum,

Discuss Basement pipe in wall slow leak. Does it need to be cleaned out? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I am new here and I need some help with a home repair.
I have this pipe located in my basement inside my wall made of concrete that is showing signs of water leaking onto my basement floor. There is no leaks from the pipe itself, the water is only coming from the bottom where the concrete is. It‘s located inside the wall so I had to remove a section of the wooding panel. It started leaking Friday because we had rain. There might be a slow leak somewhere because the pipe might be clogged and need to be cleaned out. I love learning and doing things myself so if you can help me out and guide me in the right direction how to stop the leak I would appreciate it. I don’t have money to pay someone to do it. So I have been doing research how to fix it. I seen YouTube videos where they applied Quikrete inside the wall so it would stop the water leak, here’s what they used https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-10-lbs-Hydraulic-Water-Stop-Cement/3012639.

I have no idea if this pipe connects to the storm drain or sewer. here is a photo of the pipe. The pipe has a c-clamp over it with two nuts holding it on. When the house was first built they put this c-clamp over the hole in the pipe. The pipe was made with a hole in it to clean the pipe out I assume so they put a c-clamp over it so it would not leak.

Attachments

• 39C75724-64B7-4B6E-86C3-6E7F77733F08.jpeg
    39C75724-64B7-4B6E-86C3-6E7F77733F08.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Sure the C clamp wasn't to patch a leak? My feeling is the concrete may have helped the pipe corrode and looks to be in poor condition. Even if clogged, it only leaks because it is no longer watertight. May be worth making sure that clamp repair hasn't failed before looking at more permanent measures.

I suppose if money is really tight but time is plentiful, you might be able to block the pipe, drain it, and fill with a watered-down waterproof PVA or similar that may seal the leak as it exits?

Sure the C clamp wasn't to patch a leak? My feeling is the concrete may have helped the pipe corrode and looks to be in poor condition. Even if clogged, it only leaks because it is no longer watertight. May be worth making sure that clamp repair hasn't failed before looking at more permanent measures.

I suppose if money is really tight but time is plentiful, you might be able to block the pipe, drain it, and fill with a watered-down waterproof PVA or similar that may seal the leak as it exits?
Yes, I was told it was built like that because it leaked years ago flooding the entire basement and my grandpa had to remove that c-clamp to stop the leak and he was able to drain all this black water out that looked like tar started coming out of it. Do you think replacing the clamp with a newer clamp after cleaning the pipe out will stop the leak?

Also that quikrete I mentioned above? Is that not a good repair? I know everyone does stuff different. If not what type of waterproof PVA is the best out there to seal the leak?

I can't actually use that link, but would suggest any form of cement is not what you would normally use to seal a leaking pipe, but if you could genuinely surround the entire pipe with it, it may kick the can down the roundabout, so to speak.

Probably the best waterproof PVA would be a purpose-built internal leak sealer... but I don't think it will be a quick process at all. Days or weeks, I'm thinking! It may not be the only possible workaround, so do wait to see if others have other suggestions.

The correct way is to clear the pipe as you have suggested. Then fit a new clamp or reseal the old one as whatever it's sealed with won't last for ever. Then you either replace the pipe or you try out your bodging skills. Some people can bodge something and it lasts 30 years - you may be lucky!

I can't actually use that link, but would suggest any form of cement is not what you would normally use to seal a leaking pipe, but if you could genuinely surround the entire pipe with it, it may kick the can down the roundabout, so to speak.

Probably the best waterproof PVA would be a purpose-built internal leak sealer... but I don't think it will be a quick process at all. Days or weeks, I'm thinking! It may not be the only possible workaround, so do wait to see if others have other suggestions.

The correct way is to clear the pipe as you have suggested. Then fit a new clamp or reseal the old one as whatever it's sealed with won't last for ever. Then you either replace the pipe or you try out your bodging skills. Some people can bodge something and it lasts 30 years - you may be lucky!
Do you recommend any product out there by brand you would use?

Reply to Basement pipe in wall slow leak. Does it need to be cleaned out? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock