Search the forum,

Discuss Barbers with 4 basins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Piperdave22

Gas Engineer
Hi , I’ve been asked to give a price for putting 4 hairwashing basins in a barbers .
There is only a cold mains supply in the property and only electric aswell no gas .

What would everybody suggest for feeding this bearing in mind the basins could all be used at the same time ?

We did hair dressers etc years ago and unless you are in a hard water area...wack in 4 lecky shower heaters cheapest
like triton..riva so you dont need a hot and cold supply ok then .watch out tho get the barber to get the basins up front. as they are expensive and weird..and need fitting over the worktop and right up to the counter frontthen fit at least 1 1/2 inch waste and then join to 2 inch as hair and Rubbish goes down big time....with plenty access points to rod out and if its a succesfull business the shower units will be stuffed after a year...but at £50 straight swop who cares
they will not care cause they are creaming it in
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Last edited:
We did hair dressers etc years ago and unless you are in a hard water area...wack in 4 lecky shower heaters cheapest
like triton..riva so you dont need a hot and cold supply ok then .watch out tho get the barber to get the basins up front. as they are expensive and weird..and need fitting over the worktop and right up to the counter frontthen fit at least 1 1/2 inch waste and then join to 2 inch as hair and **** goes down big time....with plenty access points to rod out and if its a succesfull business the shower units will be stuffed after a year...but at £50 straight swop who cares
they will not care cause they are creaming it in
I think you might need some electrical upgrades to run 4 electrical showers together

Hi , I’ve been asked to give a price for putting 4 hairwashing basins in a barbers .
There is only a cold mains supply in the property and only electric aswell no gas .

What would everybody suggest for feeding this bearing in mind the basins could all be used at the same time ?

I've done 4 hairdressers. In three I've ended up going back to fit an additional cylinder because as the business grows one cannot keep up. All have been direct, super insulated, and had regular element changes.

Barbers , how many of you guys with hair actually have your hair washed , guess , not many , I would go small unvented all day long .
Hairdressers totally different .

What’s the supply spec ?

I know that but it will work
4 x 8kw is easy for a decent sparky boy. then the rest is simple plumbing and mitigates any risk

which is 140 amps just on its own

most small places have a 80-100 amp supply

so thats a no go unless they have 3 phase

Appreciate the replies everyone !!
Has anyone used one of these before ?

E22F3248-4A9D-460E-9E59-B52B8AD8931D.png

EF7F0478-7FB5-4A30-9A16-98110B6098DA.png

Fast reheat unvented cylinder I would stick a 300l in but you haven’t said the water main spec so could be a no

I know that but it will work
4 x 8kw is easy for a decent sparky boy. then the rest is simple plumbing and mitigates any risk
OOps...checked my records we used 4kw electric water heaters,
which can be used cold, cool or hot enough for hair washing.
it was in Bath so when they rocked up we just went in on a Sunday and replaced like for like.and did a clean of the shower heads etc simplse

@ShaunCorbs
It was just a question whilst I was getting my hair cut I’ve got to go back and check the electrical supply
And water pressure / flow rate etc .
I know it’s a 15mm main and there’s 10kw galaxy aqua premier(same as red ring power stream) with 10mm2 cable going to it and 45 amp fuse atm

@Rob Foster did you fit them above the counter ? As there isn’t much room with the mirrors etc there and not sure it would look that nice and fit in with the shop.

@gingaling will have a look but heard they are mega money.

which is 140 amps just on its own

most small places have a 80-100 amp supply

so thats a no go unless they have 3 phase

Shaun is correct about the amount of current that would be drawn, it would not be a great design.

That being said, for the short amount of time that a shower would run, say 7 minutes, even if all 4 were on at the same time the fuse would never blow - a 100A BS1361 fuse could easily run at 140A for hours without failing. What you would get though is frequent over heating of the main tails, the tails feeding the meter and the cable terminations in general (unless they were also sized for 140A which I very much doubt they would be).

I think it could actually be fine in, but I wouldn't do it for someone and would still opt to put an unvented water heater in.

Classic dilemma mossep, what your experience tells you will work vs what you’re allowed to do.

And as you say the rules win out every time when it’s a paid job.

Now what you get up to at home........

Aswell as lights heating and other items I would say bad design and could cause damage

Ive not done it myself but, I have fixed a leak at similar, their set up was a gravity cylinder with a twin impeller pump just serving the barber stations.
Gets over the low flow/pressure at the mains, set up worked ok for them

My mum used to have a few hairdressers.
When she first started out , we put in small electric showers. Because they are used all day, they didn’t last long. Then we tried a small 3kw 50 litre storage. This was fine for about 20minutes!
She ended up with 5 shops and we always installed 250 twin immersion heater unvented cylinders. For the basins we fitted a decent quality shower mixer, to feed 4 hair wash sprays. ( think they were Mira excel). Apart from the odd shower cartridge and immersion heater, that was the only problem.

Better to spend wisely once.

Reply to Barbers with 4 basins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock