Search the forum,

Discuss Banging water pipes when my neighbour open cold or hot water taps in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I just rented a top floor flat which is a roof conversion built only 10 years ago and after moving in, i found out that inside the largest storage eaves, there is a communal water tank which serves only the 6 other flats below except mine .
I already has few issues with the tank noise which has been resolved but I can hear a loud banging pipe noise coming from my bedroom storage space which has also water and gas pipes running along the wooden panels and walls. The loud noise seems to generate when i open the tap in the kitchen sink of the this flat but primarily when when cold or hot water taps are used in the flat below however the owners cannot hear the bang as the noise seems to originate behind the wooden panel inside the bedroom storage space.Today the plumber came in and removed one of the wooden panel when the noise seems to come from, but found the insulation panel and said the pipes are boxed in so he refuse to remove the panel and said there also gas pipes.
The other flat owners below cannot hear the noise as of course generates inside my bedroom panel which is not insulated like the are flats who were built long time ago and have proper solid walls, so they cannot hear the banging when they use the bathroom taps and flashing the toilet. The noise is driving me as it echoes in the whole flat for more than 40 times a day and i cannot use the bedroom as otherwise it will wake me up every single day . Obviously the agency never mentioned these issue so i am trapped in a contract.I have attached the video to get a better idea of the noise . Any advice or suggestions is really appreciated

I'd suggest it's a quite typical symptom of poorly supported hidden pipes moving slightly and making noise when water pressure changes as outlets are opened and closed. Probably easily solved with a pressure reducing device in the correct place. I have the same at home, but only from one neighbour and it only happens during the day.

Without turning this into a Mumsnet style 'AM I BEING UNREASONABLE?' thread, I'd comment that while you are tied into a contract, so is your landlord. Your landlord has a responsibility to maintain to a reasonable standard, and you did not sign the contract aware of the issue.

Contact the landlord in person if the agent refuses to investigate further and explain the situation. Sometimes agents don't get the best work done and want to contain costs (not necessarily due to pressure from the landlord). It may be that if the landlord comes to listen for an hour (offer tea and biscuits: if you can the landlord to like you, it helps a lot) they may hear a noise they were not previously aware of, may agree with you, and will tell the agents to get a plumber and will insist the plumber actually solve the problem rather than (as it sounds to me) have a quick look and decide not to spend the time the investigation actually needs.

I'd suggest it's a quite typical symptom of poorly supported hidden pipes moving slightly and making noise when water pressure changes as outlets are opened and closed. Probably easily solved with a pressure reducing device in the correct place. I have the same at home, but only from one neighbour and it only happens during the day.

Without turning this into a Mumsnet style 'AM I BEING UNREASONABLE?' thread, I'd comment that while you are tied into a contract, so is your landlord. Your landlord has a responsibility to maintain to a reasonable standard, and you did not sign the contract aware of the issue.

Contact the landlord in person if the agent refuses to investigate further and explain the situation. Sometimes agents don't get the best work done and want to contain costs (not necessarily due to pressure from the landlord). It may be that if the landlord comes to listen for an hour (offer tea and biscuits: if you can the landlord to like you, it helps a lot) they may hear a noise they were not previously aware of, may agree with you, and will tell the agents to get a plumber and will insist the plumber actually solve the problem rather than (as it sounds to me) have a quick look and decide not to spend the time the investigation actually needs.
Thank you so much for your advice. I do not know how accessible are the pipes behind the this boxed panel in the bedroom storage where the noise generates from. I do believe it is resolvable but i am not a plumber hence why i nee professional advice. one thing for sure the banging pipe noise is in my flat . I feel the agency has false advertised the flat as i was not made aware about this issue, neither i was aware that to have a communal tank in the flat until i read the inventory only after signing the contract. I think the investigation needs to be done properly contacting the flats below as they have to perform tests to identify exactly which pipes cause the noise in my flat but it seems the agency does not want to take responsibility as it is saying the other cannot hear the noise

Reply to Banging water pipes when my neighbour open cold or hot water taps in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock