Search the forum,

Discuss bang noise in radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My radiators make a bang noise every now and then. Doesn't seem to be a particular radiator instead it will be 1 radiator and then some time later another radiator and then some time later another. Only 1 at a time I think. At least I think this is what's going on.

By way of background; I have a newly installed modern combi boiler (Worcester with digital screen), newly installed plumbing/piping (white plastic with pushfit except for copper pipes where pipes are visible and near boiler) and all new radiators in the house (7 rads in 3 bed semi). 2 of the radiators are leaking a little unfortunately. I think 1 of the radiators also doesn't heat up that much towards the bottom of the rad.

As regards the banging sound... Is it sludge? Does it need flushing? Any ideas?

Boiler pic below

Attachments

• 20230317_140340.jpg
    20230317_140340.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Make a note of all the faults (when and where) and call the installers back to resolve them, a new system shouldn't need flushing. The moving noise is odd unless it's a slug of air moving around the system and or the plastic pipe work has been insufficently clipped.

You can use a flash light and small mirror to check whether Plastic Bracket Buffers (Post #4) are fitted in accordance with the radiator installation instructions.
They're not on all the rads. So its metal on metal. Could this truly be the cause of the sound? Is that what the sound in the video sounds like?

Reply to bang noise in radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock