Search the forum,

Discuss Balancing valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

josh

Want so start using them on bigger jobs we do to make balancing easier.

To set them all you do is work out the flow rate and pressure loss, match them up on the products technical chart and set it to that, is that right?

Job we'r currently doing i have worked out the upstairs heating zone which is radiators (downstairs is ufh through out) works out at: Flow rate of 0.23 L/s and have a pressure loss of 300 pa/m.

From using the technical graph for the Honeywell V5010Y0025 i set the valve to setting 3 and that would give me the correct flow rate through the circuit, right or not? I want to use the inch version as the pipes will be 28mm.
here is the link for the chart and the valve i want to use: the chart for V5010 Kombi-3-plus BLUE, DN25.

[DLMURL]https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/pdf/v5000-5010-pd-en0h0278ge25r0605.pdf[/DLMURL]

any others that you'd reccomend that are better?
I like the look of this one as seems simple and the price is good in BSS.

When setting them when on single emitters, for example a fan heater in a shop, is the balancing valve simply set to the maximum flow rate required by the unit?

Cheers guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Roger, what do you use to read across the test points?

Thank you guys for replying, much appreciated.
Where do you buy the Ta valves from, can't see them in the BSS catalogue.

20140121_113525.jpgwe used Oventrop balancing valves on our last job, and also bought a pressure and flow commissioning unit.AC6 Manometer - Comdronic Ltd
Works a treat, gives you all the information you need on one screen, has over 2000 preset valves, either fixed or variable and you can adjust the balancing valve and see exactly what your setting it to

Last edited:
Thanks missplumb, looks impressive, really have got to be using the manometer a fair bit to make it worth buying, not just for us doing large houses!
what was the job where you used them on?

I dunno, but by the the size of it, I think that thing's gonna be powering half of Europe :)

it was a biomass boiler installation (well 2x 1Mw boilers). DSCF5981.jpg
its the first time weve used them but thought we better get the right equipment for the job. Easy to lose the cost on a big job like this but not on a smaller house job as you say.

Thanks for sharing, nice work.
Your right, wouldn't be worth us getting the manometer but just going by the setting on the valve and would have to go with it, soon know if it wasn't right as customer would soon be on the phone.
Another reason why i'v thought about these is on extensions where they have underfloor heating added to a radiator system can find the manifold pump robs the water from the rad circuit/s, and having gate valves is a bit of a crude way of throttling it down.

its all about how professional you want to be or want to appear to be, and also if the customer is prepared to pay for the extra controls. balancing valves are alot more expensive than a gate valveor lockshield valve, that comes down to how good a salesman you are!!
:yes:

we fund, supply, install and maintain all the systems we put in so its in our interests to make sure the systems run correctly, if that means putting an extra £8000 in balancing valves in then so be it. Customer has no say in it. Keeps things simple!!!!!!!

Where do you buy them from and your pipe/fittings, BSS?
Their customer service is spot on, if not in store there by 7:30 next day.

yes, BSS. For such a small new company as we are, we were the 4th biggest spenders at our local branch behind the big 3 mechanical outfits in our area.

We only do biomass boilers and district heating, we started out installing to large domestic premises such as stately homes, castles etc and then we have also started to do more commercial premises such as garden centres, schools and multi property district heatings.

Sounds interesting, is there many district heating systems around?
I am on the cibse mailing list and last year at short notice they invited anyone to go and have a look at a district heating system somewhere in London, would have gone if it'd not been short notice.

District heating is now two or more dwellings or a business premises and a dwelling. Lots of farmers taking advantages of the loopholes . Obviously the non domestic has a longer payback but it's a pretty sound investment.

Miss do you work for mr money bags or is your company an investment tool for funds? Sounds really interesting. Most of our installs are less than 8k. ( what u spend on valves on one job) but your jobs might take 8 weeks ours take 8 hours .

Its becoming more and more popular, especially with biomass and the commercial Rhi, there is alot of money to be made, hence why we fund and install and then claim rhi, customer has a new state of the art system to any properties he likes, doesnt cost him a penny upfront and depending on the service agreement, we can even provide the fuel and just charge him on a KW/h rate.

Thanks for that Ermin.
Doesn't it cost a fortune just to be able to claim for the rhi and you have to jump through no end of hoops?

No more than any other investment issue is mainly capital ! Lots of people see it as a brilliant way forward but can't make the initial ££££££ commitment. It's going to get bigger similar to seasonal storage. ( drill massive bore holes heat ground in summer with waste energy - then extract in winter) big in Canada

Miss plumb you got any jobs up north, really interested in big bio but never even seen one over 450kw

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Balancing valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Hi I recently moved into my first home and after spending the winter here, I wasn’t particularly happy with the performance of the heating. Shortly after we moved in we installed a Hive thermostat as the old one was broken. To save a bit of money I also invested in the hive TRVs. After using the...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock