Search the forum,

Discuss Balancing radiators with an adaptive Grundfos Alpha pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ringi

As we have an Alpha pump that I understand changes it power as it detect changes in the resistance to flow (e.g TVRs closing) How do I stop the changes in pumping rate driving me round in a loop while balancing the radiators?

Now that I have power flusher our system and got it a lot cleaner I need to balance the radiators. Most radiators had the lockshield fully open, so I don’t think the system has been well balanced since we brought the property. The system is open vented in a large 1930’s bungalow.

Most of the pipe work is 22mm, branching to 15mm just before each radiator. The two main sets of 22mm pipe drops down corners of two rooms, each feeding 3 large double radiators in adjoining rooms. There are also a few 15mm drops that look like they are later additions that feed at most 2 radiators each.

Most radiators are connected top-bottom same end with the feed going into the top, checking by hand both ends of each radiator seem to be at about the same temperature.

Some radiators take a lot longer to heat up. A few radiators sometimes fail to get hot unless other radiators are turned off – I expect this is partly due to air locks in long horizontal pipes in the loft, as once I force the water round these radiators they get hot for a few weeks. All but one radiator has TRV, mostly old Honeywell TRV that have what looks like bimetallic disks in them.
I am planning to get about a 10c drop across each radiator.

How long should I leave each radiator after making a change to the lockshield to stabilise before re-checking the temperature drop.

Should I do anything to cope with the pump charging its power as I change the lockshelds?

is there any instructions with the pump? i though you could put it into a non modulation mode?

I fitted a grundfos magna and they have a manual over ride. I presume the alpha is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Balancing radiators with an adaptive Grundfos Alpha pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock