Search the forum,

Discuss Balancing Mixed Single & Double Pipe System in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have an old house where downstairs is an old single pipe system but upstairs is a conventional double pipe system when it was added later on.

The single pipes are burried in concrete so it's not an option to convert at this time

In an effort to improve downstairs we were looking at changing the valves to the Danfoss RA-G range but unsure if they will work with the Evo system we have. We have also seen the Danfoss automatic balancers (AB-QM) but unsure if they will work in our house or where in the system they would be fitted

Could anyone advise the best way to improve our system as much as possible (without converting downstairs to a double) and how to balance.

Not sure if this info will help but this is what we have

Oil combi boiler
7 Rads on single pipe
6 Rads on double pipe
The double tees off flow and return at boiler end

Best to just use lockshield as it’s hit and miss with trvs on a one pipe system

Best to just use lockshield as it’s hit and miss with trvs on a one pipe system
We don't use all the rooms, all the time, so just a lockshield isn't really an option. We have the evohome so we only heat the rooms we use as we need them.

I understand no lockshield is how it was designed so looking for best alternative

Hi Cat,

If you wanted to go back to whoever sold you the evohome, then I'm thinking you have reasonable grounds for getting your money back as it's designed for dual pipe.

Have you considered running the extra pipe required around the walls (get a good professional in to look at that). In an older house you could make a feature of the pipe if you use nice traditional fittings and munsens etc.

(Forcing myself into a corner) The only alternative I could think of would be to plumb a bypass pipe past each downstairs radiator. Not sure how you would ever tune it though, and get it working reasonably under all conditions you might have. Could be hours of fun, and it would look messy (if that is an issue). Project for a software eng student if they can first hack the Evo software?

So I think time to bite the bullet. Chew on it for a few days first.

P.S. I note they don't sell Evo in the USA home of the single pipe system(?)

Cheers,

Roy (Rank amateur)

I'm trying to balance my system. Would it be acceptable to turn the heating on and time the rate each radiator takes to warm up, out the times in order and therefore give you the order in which they are heating up from fastest to slowest. I was thinking of just minyotibg the flow or return for first sign of heat and take a time reading then repeat when cold.

I'm trying to balance my system. Would it be acceptable to turn the heating on and time the rate each radiator takes to warm up, out the times in order and therefore give you the order in which they are heating up from fastest to slowest. I was thinking of just minyotibg the flow or return for first sign of heat and take a time reading then repeat when cold.
Please post that question as a new thread as it's off-topic here. But in short, no, that's not the purpose or method for balancing.

Reply to Balancing Mixed Single & Double Pipe System in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock