Search the forum,

Discuss Balancing CH question ?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob588

Hi,

Ive recently moved into a new house and needed to rebalance the radiators in the house as some were cold. Having never done this before I assumed the idea was to get all the radiators at an equal temperature. Firstly I opened all TRV's and lock shields fully, I then used a laser thermometer and measured the actual temperature of the top/center of each radiator. I then slowly closed down the lock shields on all 'hotter' radiators until they were all of a similar temperature. I now have a system that heats up equally with all radiators reaching a max temp of around 75 degrees across the house.

Having read this site and many other I now realise I should have taken the temperatures of the flow/return pipe of each radiator and adjusted accordingly!!

My question is does the method i used achieve the same outcome or have I totally wasted my time??

Many thanks

Rob.

must have taken for ever! also, if you have a condensing boiler you need to know the return temp

Fuzzy,

To be honest, it didnt take that long with the laser thermometer, just turned dwn the lock shields on the 'hot' radiators first. Do you think I've 'lost out' by using this method ?

I do have got a condensing boiler, what should I be checking to ensure I'm maximising the efficency?

Any guidance appreciated.

Rob.

Do you feel you have lost out? strange choice of words, i wouldnt consider anything loosing out, it either works or it doesnt

A return temp off 55 degrees C to ensure your boiler condenses

Fuzzy,

Sorry, this is all new to me !!

I guess what I meant was, why do experienced plumbers not 'balance' in the way I did? Have I missed something that could effect efficency for example?

How do I check return temp on the boiler, if its not 55 how do I adjust??

Thanks

Rob.

well the easiest way is to turn down the stat on the boiler to reduce the flow temp, problem is if your rads are not sized correctly then it will not warm the room. in the majority of cases rads are well oversized. you should look to have a flow temp of about 66 and get a 11/12 degree drop across the rad

How do I amend temps if they do not fall within tolerance? Do you see any benefit in balancing radiators the correct way?

using the known method has the advantage of gaining correct 10/12 degree drop against each one. if you get the flow temp correct start shutting down each ls until you reach the correct fall

[DLMURL="http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/central-heating/balancing-a-central-heating-system.html"]Balancing a central heating system | central-heating | Diy Fix It[/DLMURL]

hows this?

Last edited by a moderator:
the way you balanced your system should be allright if you could get all rads worming equally,i reckon you are giving new adeas on how to save time on balancing...lol basically what plumbers do to balance the system is connect two termometers to the flow/return,paly with the valves till you reach the wanted temperture at both termometers,you do one radiator at a time.don't forget to bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Balancing CH question ?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock