Search the forum,

Discuss Bad Smells from Washing Machine/Kitchen Sink in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
For quite some time now I've been getting quite bad sewage type smells after using my washing machine. I also get water coming up through the kitchen sink when the washing machine drains along with the bad smell. I've read that where the washing machine waste pipe joins the main pipe under the sink may need raising higher. I've tried adjusting this as much as I can and it appears to be much higher than the trap, but it hasn't really helped.

I've also tried using some washing machine cleaner to see if it'll help clean out any blockages but that hasn't helped either. I've read about these anti-syphon traps, would one of these help? The thing is my sink has a 2nd small bowl which I dont really use but to be directly connected to the U-bend. Whereas the main kitchen sink/washing machine outlet is connected further away from the U-bend. So not sure if a anti-syphon trap would work with this setup?

Please see photos of under my sink attached and any further advice/help would be much appreciated

. IMG_2196.JPGIMG_2197.JPG

1. The washing machine hose should rise to just below the underside of the work top before going downwards onto the spigot on the waste trap. Get a longer / extension drain hose if necessary to achieve.
2. However, given that you have waste water from the washing machine going into your sink, I would suspect a drain blockage.
3. Have you taken apart the trap and made sure its clear? Bowl underneath, undo the lowest right hand white plastic "nut", and the one behind it. The U bend will come out, with a small amount of water. Make sure the U bend is clear.
4. If the U bend is OK, any blockage is likely to be in the pipework between the U bend and the sewer. If you have access, lift the appropriate manhole cover and see if the foul drains are running freely.

Thank you for your helpful reply. So are you saying that grey hose from the washing machine should be going up higher than it is now before connecting to the waste spigot?. As it's an integrated washing machine it would be difficult for me to get access to fit a new longer hose, so can I extend the existing one, what would I need to do this?.

I've bought some plug buster solution to put down the sink to see if that will help and if it doesn't then I'll have a look at taking the u-bend apart to check for a blockage.
Would an anti-syphon u-bend fit/help at all?

1. Screwfix 71062 extension drain hose, plus a couple of jubilee clips.
2. Anti-syphon trap won't help if the pipework is blocked.

I would repipe and neaten up to be honest as your washing machine empties quite powerfully so may be just struggling to get away also its piped in before the bend so any smells will just come back up

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've used some drain cleaner down the sink and since then the smells have definitely reduced/almost gone so I suspect there must have been a bit of a blockage in the U-bend.

Reply to Bad Smells from Washing Machine/Kitchen Sink in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock